Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Tiger = not compatible

Quote:
What's the big deal with Tiger anyway? Will it help your PT workflow in the long run. Are there any special changes that improve the OS or is it just more General Public iChat BS that's been added to the surface of the OS for the iPOD generation and housewifes?

If I'm missing the boat, please let me know.
As someone who uses a lot more audio apps than just PT,
I am thrilled that Tiger finally allows support
for multiple CoreAudio drivers in a single application (or so I've been told).
Using MLan inputs from a Motif, lightpipe from a MOTU interface,
and analog audio from a Digi core audio driver in the same Logic or Live session is going to be really nice!

For this reason alone, I plan to upgrade the day that a Tiger-compatible ProTools ships.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 AM

oh, yeah! Forgot about multiple core audio support. That is a killer addition indeed........Too bad it won't work in PT Though AArrrg! I've been wanting mLAN support from Digi for years. I think it's time to have an in deapth look at Logic! Protools LE is fun and TDM is great if you can afford it. I work on both and IMO TDM is not worth the money. There is a lot of better Hardware on the market (converters/pre's) that if Logic will not limit my creativity, I might just have to jump ship. Anyway this "no Surround" thing in LE is killing me and NO real DUAL PROSSESOR SUPPORT? what's up with that in 2005 .........huh Digi?

Thanks for the heads up on the core audio.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Are there any special changes that improve the OS or is it just more General Public iChat BS that's been added to the surface of the OS for the iPOD generation and housewifes?

Expose was the coolest thing about Panther but even it will cause wierd things sometimes.

actually, i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss ichat....i have a friend that uses ichat and nicecast to remotely produce sessions in los angeles from dallas. one of the new things that is supposedly in ichat (or coming in a release soon) is the ability for final cut to output a video stream into ichat for up to 3 other users to approve. i'm curious to see if we will be able to use ichat to stream audio back and forth for people that are producing sessions remotely.

and i use expose all the time with pt and don't seem to have any problems with it.

just my 2 cents......returning to lurk mode......

brian
Old 05-02-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Tiger = not compatible/Logic Opinion!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There is a lot of better Hardware on the market (converters/pre's) that if Logic will not limit my creativity, I might just have to jump ship. Anyway this "no Surround" thing in LE is killing me and NO real DUAL PROSSESOR SUPPORT? what's up with that in 2005--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I switched to Logic a while back... Well I really added it to my arsenal to be more precise. I got a free industry Pro Promo Pack. I usually toss all of those in a box, but I decided to try Logic after hearing and reading so much about it. The early versions never really grabbed me, they were hard to figure out or maybe I just was not paying close attention. Logic 7 has been made very easy to use, I installed it and it just worked. The midi is way beyond PT, the ability to use multiple computers for extra processing power as "nodes" is way over due (you can network your old cpus to add RT power to logic, increasing your track count or whatever). The audio editing is still not as slick as PT, however, its very, very easy and well done. Logic also allows me to use all my SC samples and instruments as exp instruments, so I no longer need a sampler as its built right into Logic. Also, I have never been a big fan of loops, however, the loops that come with Logic are great and easy to use. You can drag some fantastic sounding drums into the time line, then add a few bass loops and some guitar and or synth loops and in no time, you have a very pro sounding recording. I did a few test songs with all loops and only the vox cut in my home studio. A friend asked me where I cut the drums at, and where I mixed as they were both killer parts of the songs. I did admit they were loops . At any rate, I do need to open Pro Tools on occassion, but over all I find that I use logic from start to finish on most projects, as its just the easiest way to go for me. (Your miles may vary)

Regards

e
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well, the things I've seen up till now are not real improvements for PT users, besides the multiple-app-core-audio thing. 1 irritating thing I've noticed is that the current version of Digi CoreAudio manager keeps popping up, when any app is started it seems. Does anybody remember where you can tell which apps can use the CoreAudio manager?

Anyway, the Dashboard does not add any real new audio facilities until now (besides the iTunes 'remote'), Automator is interesing for many functions and the rest I haven't really discovered yet. But it does all seems to work a little smoother, not necesarily faster.

MassiveMusic

SOS article
Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM

The real power of Tiger is the speed of searching now it is so fast as soon as you start typing it searches. But this hidden power is this. You will never have to reorganize you samples/sound files ever again by hand. The OS will do it for you eq Smart Folders type in the criteria for the folder and bang everything that matches the criteria is automatically in the folder no matter where it is.
If you had to remane a hunded files automator will do that very fast.
After using Tiger for a few days I like it alot the few time saving features I have found have already paid for itself in saving time.
Also Logic 7 and all my Waves stuff worked all I had to do is download new Pace drivers and all my Waves PI came up No upgrade needed!
I you have a large sound library Tiger will change they way you will use your Mac. Post guys are going to love this.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM

This might not be the right place to post this but I was told that Tiger has some new midi features.

Check this out:

Sending MIDI device information over a network
You can use the MIDI network driver to send and receive MIDI information between computers over a network. For example, if you have a music studio with several computers connected to MIDI interfaces, keyboards, synthesizers and such, you can use the MIDI network driver to route the data from these devices to and from your computers over an Ethernet network. Normally, you might need to purchase MIDI interfaces for your devices and connect the devices with cables. With the MIDI network driver, you can have a central computer act as a "master" sending and receiving MIDI data over the network to other computers and their connected MIDI devices.

To set up MIDI networking on your computer, you first create a "session." A session identifies your computer as a central location for MIDI streaming over the network. From a directory of computers on your network, you choose the computers you want to participate in the session. You can also add addresses of computers not on your local network. Once identified, these computers in the directory can send and receive MIDI information from your computer and its MIDI devices. Each computer listed in the directory becomes a "participant" in the session.

When setting up a session on your computer, you specify the computer port that the network information will use, a session name, and your computer's name that will appear to other computers on the network. You can also set up specific routings of MIDI devices. For example, you might specify that a MIDI keyboard connected to another computer route its MIDI data to a synthesizer connected to your computer.

Interesting...
Old 05-02-2005, 08:18 PM

-iChat with Final Cut Pro
-Multiple Core Audio Divices
-MIDI Networking
-Smart Folders....Automator

ok,....... it's looking interesting. That's some cool control to harness.

Keep the tricks coming, I'm sure this will appeal to most DUC'ers.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
-iChat with Final Cut Pro
-Multiple Core Audio Divices
-MIDI Networking
-Smart Folders....Automator

ok,....... it's looking interesting. That's some cool control to harness.

Keep the tricks coming, I'm sure this will appeal to most DUC'ers.

Playing around with it on my laptop.. Looks cool.. Can't wait to see the PT app coming in a few weeks..

g
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-02-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I you have a large sound library Tiger will change they way you will use your Mac. Post guys are going to love this.
This is what I'm really looking forward to. I have over 600GB of sound effects stored across three external drives. I've been using a Filemaker database to search all of my libraries but something tells me that Spotlight is going to replace this.
San Diego, CA