Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2022, 11:53 AM

Default Pre/Post Roll shortcut

I know there's a shortcut to turn Pre/Post roll on and off with Command-K but there's also a shortcut if you Option-Click in the timeline that activates the Pre Roll from that point (also turns on Pre Roll). Since I seem to accidentally hit this key combination frequently I'm looking for a way to turn that off all the time. In my 2 decades on Pro Tools I've never needed to do that and have done in by accident 1000's of times.

I thought about creating a shortcut in the Mac system that would conflict with that so maybe it wouldn't work but I can't use Option-Click as the 'keystroke'

Thanks
OS 10.9.2
PT 10.3.10 HD
PT 11.3.1 HD
PT 12.1 HD
Old 06-06-2022, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Pre/Post Roll shortcut

Yes that drives me crazy every day. If you find a way to disable please share.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:43 AM

The only fix I've found is with using memory locations. I have a default starting template I use for every session using memory slots 1 through 9, I use these to change track views and/or window config views (with Time Properties set to none). And I also add Pre/Post Roll times in the options. I switch between the views frequently while working, so even if I accidentally change my pre/post roll, it always gets fixed when I change to a new view/memory location.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:32 PM

At least now I know why that happens to me too. I option-scroll very often to zoom in and out, but like you I do not have a need for the option-click function to turn on and set the pre-roll.

How many times has AVID been asked to allow their keyboard shortcuts to be configurable or individually disabled, at least? This would not be the ONLY shortcut I might (even temporarily) disable, depending on workflow.

The ability to tell PT "no right now please don't listen for THAT specific combo" would make a smooth operation for such use contexts. Any other method, such as creating a system shortcut in an app like Keyboard Maestro, is a hacky method. Option-click does other things if you target a plugin or solo button, which might totally be desirable, when opt-clicking the timeline is what is problematic.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:30 PM

I believe you can write scripts via Soundflow to disable key commands built in to protools.