Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Monterey 12.3.1 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Thanks Ben, where would I find 12.3?
macOS 12.3 is available from Apple. There is a security issue that was fixed via macOS 12.3.1, so I suggest you get that update instead.

On your Mac, simply click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen, select "About This Mac," and then click on the "Software Update..." button to bring up the software update dialog box.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 04-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:35 PM

Just updated to 12.3.1 and Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12.0. I am no longer able to access the AudioSuite function (all grayed out). Anyone seeing this or have a solution?
Old 04-03-2022, 03:21 PM

Hi,

I made it 12.3.1.
No problem.
When removing the drawing bug and send of VCA from the insert, the drawing collapses, but the operation is comfortable.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugongmusic View Post
Just updated to 12.3.1 and Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12.0. I am no longer able to access the AudioSuite function (all grayed out). Anyone seeing this or have a solution?
Did you upgrade from Monterey 12.3 to 12.3.1? If you upgraded from an earlier version of macOS like Big Sur or Catalina, it might be that your plugins have not been updated to version 2022.2 which is what is needed to be compatible with Monterey. Check your Avid account or Avid Link to see if they have an update. For me, all the plugins that worked in Monterey 12.3 also work in Monterey 12.3.1

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 04-03-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Sounds sensible, and many will agree with you that KEEP UPDATED is a basic in staying safe and having a working setup. Not so always. ALWAYS not so with PT systems.

These days, last couple of years, things have changed drastically with Apple's SIP, System Integrity Protection. Before, we could easily roll back to a working image of our HD if something went wrong. Not so anymore.

If you haven't yet (this is to any and everybody it may concern) put some effort into understanding the new way that MacOS works.
Can you recommend any good resources for understanding the new procedures for maintaining, backing up, and restoring macOS's? My procedure has always been to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable OS clones on external drives as backup and restore points. When upgrading to a new OS, I would install the new macOS on an external drive, boot from it, and install all my software on that drive. Then once I have everything setup and stable, clone that back onto the internal, while keeping a separate clone of the previous OS. Is there a similar workflow under the new Apple security protocols?
Old 04-06-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
These days, last couple of years, things have changed drastically with Apple's SIP, System Integrity Protection. Before, we could easily roll back to a working image of our HD if something went wrong. Not so anymore.
Ben, does this mean that on M1 machines you can not clone your internal drive onto an external and boot up from there anymore? I wasn't aware of this.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:41 PM

Yep I'm using an M1 Macbook with 12.3.1 and it's working fine no problems. I'm using Waves and Avid plugs.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixaudio View Post
Ben, does this mean that on M1 machines you can not clone your internal drive onto an external and boot up from there anymore? I wasn't aware of this.
No. You can still do that, but with limitations. Since Big Sur, what used to be the boot volume now consists of two volumes; typically called Macintosh HD (which contains the fundamental system files and is locked to any other processes than Apples update installer, basically. The other is then called Macintosh HD - Data, and contains everything else, applications, user files etc. In Finder, they show as one disk, in Disk Utilities you can see that they are two volumes.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, and I have a bootable clone of my internal drive on an external. It's not as easy as before, but CCC has a feature that makes it easier. But again, there are serious limitations compared to before. Lots of info on the Bombich site:
Frequently asked questions about CCC and macOS 11 (and later OSes)

Apparently the problem is with upgrading the system. I haven't gone there yet, so I'll not try to pretend I know all about it.

(BTW, this really has nothing to do with SIP like I wrote so strike that. I got confused.)

IHTH.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixaudio View Post

Everything Ben wrote is correct.

But, your question was asking about M1 Macs. This is NOT specific to M1 Macs. It is the same for Intel based Macs as well. Worth clarifying that point.

Also, this started with macOS Catalina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Also, this started with macOS Catalina.
I beg to differ. I used Catalina for over a year, and cloned and imaged my boot drive the old way with no problem. "Signed System Volume", which it's called, came with MacOS 11 Big Sur.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 04-07-2022 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Of course I did not run Catalina on M1. Corrected.