Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Default Pro Tools HD Native PCIE or Thunderbolt

It's my understanding that you can't buy the PCI or Thunderbolt card separately. I'm about to invest in an HD Native Thunderbolt system, but if I later decide to use this on a PC that has no thunderbolt, am I correct that I can't just buy a PCIE card? I would have to buy a whole bundle with software and IO interface again?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Native PCIE or Thunderbolt

I have not known anyone to be able to get just the card from a dealer. Seems it should be possible even if it were by having the dealer contact Avid. But it's hard to say.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM

In a situation like that, your best bet is to buy a used card from someone off Ebay. Just the card, no software or anything. You wouldn't need the software license because you can install your software on as many computers as you want and just authorize by Ilok. Install that in your PC, then switch your HD interfaces and Ilok back and forth as needed.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 PM

I agree. Buy a used card and then grab a Magma TB chassis to use with your Mac. Of course, the odds are very good that the card INSIDE the TB version is the exact same card, but, until someone tears into one, nobody can say for sure

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM

At the moment, I see some HD Native PCIe and TB for sale on ebay without the software. People who probably only went for the HD software, but want to use different hardware...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I agree. Buy a used card and then grab a Magma TB chassis to use with your Mac. Of course, the odds are very good that the card INSIDE the TB version is the exact same card, but, until someone tears into one, nobody can say for sure
Okay, so I just got this from a reputable source. The card inside the TB chassis is NOT the same PCIe card. Too bad, but at least now we know.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Well, that source may not be reputable. Avid has confirmed that it's exactly the same functionality, performance, and latency as the "card" version, as have the users of it as well. It's not inferior in any way. So I seriously doubt that person knows what they're talking about.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM

This person works for avid. He said the card is the same EXCEPT that it has no PCIe tabs and that it is hard wired, so it can't be removed and used in a PCIe slot I wasn't suggesting it inferior in any way, only that the Thunderbolt version can't be pulled from the TB case and used in a PCIe slot As I understand it, Thunderbolt is the same speed as PCIe(same architecture, different connector).

Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM

It's interesting that INTEL invented Thunderbolt---yet is exclusive to Apple! IMHO while I see your point about PCIe if you later decide to go Windows, we don't know that Thunderbolt may never end up on a Windows machine in the future or not. However I'll say this---if you ever had to re-sell it, I don't see the value in the cards lasting the way they do in the Thunderbolt. These days I'm selling more Thunderbolt systems than the cards, because they can be used on iMac's, Laptops, etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
It's interesting that INTEL invented Thunderbolt---yet is exclusive to Apple! IMHO while I see your point about PCIe if you later decide to go Windows, we don't know that Thunderbolt may never end up on a Windows machine in the future or not. However I'll say this---if you ever had to re-sell it, I don't see the value in the cards lasting the way they do in the Thunderbolt. These days I'm selling more Thunderbolt systems than the cards, because they can be used on iMac's, Laptops, etc.
Thunderbolt is not exclusive to Apple. Lenovo laptops and many motherboards now have it. People only think its exclusive because Apple tell them it is. The name "Thunderbolt" might be exclusive to Apple but the tech - Lightpeak, isn't.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors