Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Looking for Mix Critique and Feedback

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a constructive critique on a mix that I did recently.. I'm just an amateur, learning Pro Tools LE, all I've got is an old Dell Lap Top, inexpensive mike, and using the built-in preamp in the original MBox. I had to mix with headphones, since I don't have any real decent monitors. Nevertheless.. I would appreciate comments, my daughter is singing on this, for the very first time so be gentle.. , and I'm playing piano, and the virtual software cello and bells. I'm using Pro Tools LE 8, and Akoustik Piano, cellos are done with an old Yamaha Motif Rack Mount.

Thank you very much for listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Uvmi30AQ4
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Looking for Mix Critique and Feedback

Production-wise, the vocals are too loud, need a high-pass filter, and different FX (perhaps a Haas delay and more warmer reverb).

Vocally, your daughter can sing, but the delivery is mechanical. This is probably due to the newness/excitement of recording for her.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for your quick feedback, very much appreciated.

Are you saying High Pass Filter on the vocals or another track? There are some pops, and other low noise because no pop filter... dynamic mike, singing up very close.

I'm using the stock reverb plugin that comes with Pro Tools LE. Any suggestions for a warmer reverb plug-in?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Yes, high-pass for the vocals. She currently sounds congested.

One big help for reverb is putting it on an aux track with an EQ after it for filtering with aux sends on the vocals tracks.

For another take on reverb, DUY gives Z-Room away for free.
https://services.duy.net/zroom-free.asp

And if you quantized the cello, don't. The attacks are too rhythmically perfect for a cello.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Yeah as far as being congested, she was recovering from a pretty bad cold.. poor thing.

I did have the reverb on an aux track, but didn't have any eq after the reverb on the aux track, I had an eq on the main vocal track. I'll have to try your suggestion, and the other free reverb you mentioned.

Yeah, I believe I did quantize the cello.. I also agree with you there.. didn't really need to either.. I was just looking to get something down quick on the cello part..

Thanks again, your suggestions have been helpful.