Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Updating from the old Digi 001...please advise...

Well, I'm running PT 6.4 on my Digi 001...and it works fine...32 tracks, etc.

I have no issues or needs...at this point.

But I figure...eventually, I don't want to get too far behind
in terms of software development.

So I have a few questions...

Anyone else in my boat that doesn't see the need (just yet) to upgrade
a perfectly functioning HW/SW combo?

Anyone that's recently made the jump? What inspired you to do that?

Next question...

Ok...now my Digi 001 rack has lots of nice inputs and outputs, spdif, midi, etc...

If I were to get the Mbox 2, is there a way to rig it up to still utilize the old 001
in's and out's?

Thanks very much for your thoughts/input!

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Updating from the old Digi 001...please advise...

Quote:
Well, I'm running PT 6.4 on my Digi 001...and it works fine...32 tracks, etc.

I have no issues or needs...at this point.

But I figure...eventually, I don't want to get too far behind
in terms of software development.

So I have a few questions...

Anyone else in my boat that doesn't see the need (just yet) to upgrade
a perfectly functioning HW/SW combo?

Anyone that's recently made the jump? What inspired you to do that?

Next question...

Ok...now my Digi 001 rack has lots of nice inputs and outputs, spdif, midi, etc...

If I were to get the Mbox 2, is there a way to rig it up to still utilize the old 001
in's and out's?

Thanks very much for your thoughts/input!

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com

Hi,

I changed recently from my old 001 to an mbox 2 pro and I find the new converters in the Mbox 2 pro to be more "detailed and accurate" (AD /DA). Still, the digi 001 had the advantage of an ADAT port which I used often but have no need anymore.
As far as I know, you cannot have both the 001 installed (PCI & breakout box) and a mbox running at the same time. Furthermore I don't think you can use the breakout-box of the 001 in "standalone mode", since the power is drawn from the PCI-card.

cheers
Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 AM

I agree with Rockwilder. The 001 does not work as a break-out box like that. If you need the input and outputs, you should look into the newly introduced 003/003R. Digidesign has a trade-in program for 001 owners. These units are shipping already as I saw one installed and many ready to go boxes at a local music retailer (West LA Music in Studio City, CA) on Saturday 3/24/07.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Think about what is it that you are missing out on. If you can't really think of anything, then consider just working with what you have. If anything you save a ton of money by staying a step behind. If you're DAW is working flawlessly as is, consider yourself blessed. Personally I used Windows98 and PT5.1.1 up until about a month ago. Simply because it worked flawlessly, and there wasn't anything that I needed.

Then I was taking some classes in school, needed to work on some Pro Tools sessions at home, and needed some of the 6.4 features, so I upgraded to XP and PT6.4.

Like I said, staying a step behind can #1 save you a ton of money, and #2 give you a chance for lots of people to try out lots of hardware and see what works best. I upgraded my 5.1.1 system to 6.4, new motherboard, new cpu, new ram, all HUGE upgrades for under 200 bucks.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Yea...good point.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke...I guess.

Better to spend my money on a great sampled piano.

That's what I REALLY want for Christmas!

-todd
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM

toddamo,I've got the digi one and it also runs great. 6.4 is good software with re-wire. I've got the Apogee Mini-Me for great clock and conversion,who now has available an add on firewire card to give it 96k sampling rates thru firewire. I'm thinking of recording at 88.2 with the Apogee and another software and then down sampling and importing the tracks into Pro Tools and then recording the drums in 44.1. I just do'nt know exactly what to use to output the audio to my D A convertor, (which then goes back into the Mini-Me to down sample and dither)
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
toddamo,I've got the digi one and it also runs great. 6.4 is good software with re-wire. I've got the Apogee Mini-Me for great clock and conversion,who now has available an add on firewire card to give it 96k sampling rates thru firewire. I'm thinking of recording at 88.2 with the Apogee and another software and then down sampling and importing the tracks into Pro Tools and then recording the drums in 44.1. I just do'nt know exactly what to use to output the audio to my D A convertor, (which then goes back into the Mini-Me to down sample and dither)
Can you go into the Digi001 from the MiniMe via S/PDIF. (Sorry I forgot if the 001 has a S/PDIF I/O). That way you get the benefit of using the Apogee converters (and preamp) but you go directly into ProTools. I also can't remember of the 001 can support 88.2K and 96K via the S/PDIF if it has one. I was considering getting the MiniMe also to use with my 002. I just read about the firewire card option but didn't know if that was available for previous MiniMe's or just the newer ones.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can you go into the Digi001 from the MiniMe via S/PDIF. (Sorry I forgot if the 001 has a S/PDIF I/O). That way you get the benefit of using the Apogee converters (and preamp) but you go directly into ProTools. I also can't remember of the 001 can support 88.2K and 96K via the S/PDIF if it has one. I was considering getting the MiniMe also to use with my 002. I just read about the firewire card option but didn't know if that was available for previous MiniMe's or just the newer ones.
Yes I use the S/PDIF inputs on the 001, but the 001 just does 44.1k or 48k. That's why I thought the fire option card, (Which IS available for previous MiniMe's), I'll just open it up and pull out the USB card and replace it with the firewire card, which Apogee has been working on for a couple of years I believe. I was thinking of using the built in spidif out on my Asus A8V motherboard ( after recording at a 88.2 sample rate with another software) then into my Lucid DA9624 then into the Minime and into Pro Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM

003 Console with Music Production toolkit is upgrade from the 001 for $1595. You can flip that for over $2000...it lists for $2700. That's what I did with my 001...still waiting for it to arrive of course.

Check out all the things you get with that upgrade...a moving-fader controller (no more mixing with mice), VASTLY better sonics, heaps of plugins and geegaws...the latest software support...48 tracks...
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:38 PM

get the black lion mod for the digi 001...i just got mine back and its a giant improvement...sounds much much better...well worth the $$$

http://blacklionaudio.com/digi001_mod.html