Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Can't use Elastic Audio because every file is Read Only?

Trying to use EA on some guitar tracks, but each guitar track (in fact every track in the session) gives me this error, no matter if I choose Poly, Rhythmic etc.

"Could not complete your request because an audio file on the playlist is unsupported for Elastic Audio processing as it is read only "name of any file"

The files are not made inactive (as I read in other posts) and will play, but no EA can be done. I've tried consolidating the file(s) to make new files, but the problem persists.

I've also gone to the drive/specific file, and changed the properties for all users to read & write, but it doesn't make a difference. Not sure where to go from here. All audio files are .wav

Pro Tools 20.9.1.123, macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Last edited by soundboy35; 08-09-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Can't use Elastic Audio because every file is Read Only?

Check in PT default Workspace whether that Volume is set to R or P.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-10-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Check in PT default Workspace whether that Volume is set to R or P.
All drives are set to R
I tested a random session on the same drive, and all the audio files were able to be EA processed, etc.
I'll ask the person that shared the session to me if they have the same issue. The only other thing I can think of, is the session was shared to me on Google Drive, vs WeTransfer (what we normally use) I know Dropbox can do strange things to files/permissions in general, but not sure about Google Drive?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:00 PM

This will very likely be something to do with the file permissions/storage what you are doing outside of Pro Tools. Locked media assets in Workspace and wrong Transfer/Record settings will generate different errors IIRC.

So when you imported the audio, did you copy them to a location in the session folder and is all that living on a local drive.. and what file system is that drive using?

Be careful that you are not working with media in a Google Drive shared folder or some other thing like an NTFS or exFAT memory stick/drive.

Regardless of where there are copies go into Pro Tools Workspace and confirm that the session is using the copies of those media files on a local drive and that local folder does *not* live in cloud storage.

In addition to making sure the files are writable by you, make sure the directory is readable, writable, and executable and owned by your user ID.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This will very likely be something to do with the file permissions/storage what you are doing outside of Pro Tools. Locked media assets in Workspace and wrong Transfer/Record settings will generate different errors IIRC.

So when you imported the audio, did you copy them to a location in the session folder and is all that living on a local drive.. and what file system is that drive using?

Be careful that you are not working with media in a Google Drive shared folder or some other thing like an NTFS or exFAT memory stick/drive.

Regardless of where there are copies go into Pro Tools Workspace and confirm that the session is using the copies of those media files on a local drive and that local folder does *not* live in cloud storage.

In addition to making sure the files are writable by you, make sure the directory is readable, writable, and executable and owned by your user ID.

Interesting and good reminder about not working in the actual cloud folder! Have been burned by that before.

I originally downloaded the session to my Downloads folder, but then copied it to my audio drive (not sure why), so there are 2 copies of the session, BUT, I've only been working on the session that's on the audio drive, and the only audio files that have modified dates are the ones on the audio drive.

What's interesting is that Workspace shows the audio as created & modified on July 31st (when I downloaded the session), but indexed today, and shows the audio files as located on my audio drive as expected?

I was looking for the database file to delete, but can't find it. Seems like something is messed up there, possibly? Maybe I should delete the session folder from my downloads folder, reboot etc, etc.

My audio drive is read & write by my user ID, as are all the audio files.

The Audio drive is mac OS Journaled, but the OS drive is APFS

Still not sure why the issue is with this session only. I grabbed a random file in a random session (same drive) and EA worked fine

Last edited by soundboy35; 08-10-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:34 PM

Not sure where to go from here. Here's what I've done so far, all unsuccessful, as far as getting EA to work on any audio files.

Made a new session, dragged a file in from the broken audio files folder

Made a new session, used "import session data" from the bad session and pulled in one audio track

With this bad session open, dragged a random audio file from another session in, and tried to apply EA - same error message

Changed my OS drive and audio drive to have myself and everyone else listed to have read & write permissions.

* What finally worked - Making a new session as AIFF, 'import session data' from the bad session, forcing files to be converted on import. All tracks are now AIFF and all can have EA processing : )
Still makes me wonder what's up with my system or the system it came from, but at least I can do my thing for now.

Last edited by soundboy35; 08-10-2022 at 06:45 PM.