Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 AM

Default Time Delay between Clicking Track List and appearing in midi Editor

I noticed a weird thing with PT 9.03, Win7 64 Pro. When I am in the Midi Editor and I click to show a track from the track list, it does not appear immediately but takes a fraction of a second for it to show up. Also, when I click to hide a track that is showing, there is delay between the click and the actual disappearance of the track from the midi editor.
If I fast click on several tracks continuously it take a few seconds for them to appear, and I can't click on anything else until they do appear. If i click on several tracks from the track list and start editing stuff before they appear, the whole Win7 system freezes in most instances, Ctr+Alt+Del task manager would not work, and I have to maunally switch the power off and re-boot.

UPDATE: I tried it with another session that has 4 midi tracks only and very few plugins, and the problem disappears. The tracks show instantaneously! So what could the problem be when i have more tracks?

What could be the problem? Is it related to my graphics card? I have a Nvidia Quadro 2000 (1GB), and have installed the latest drivers (275.61 WHQL certified driver). I reverted to the 259.81 driver that is recommended by Avid for Pro Tools, but the same problem is there!
The session I am working on takes about 4 GB of my Ram, with around 10 instances of Kontakt 4 and a few other plugins. The session has around 90 midi tracks.

I am on a HP Z600 workstation, with 2 nos Xeon 5620, 8-core, 2.4 Mgz, 16 GB Ram. No Hyperthreading, No Intel Turbo Boost. 5 Cores are allocated to RTAS with 99% CPU usage and the buffer is 1024.
Any suggestions?
Any help is much appreciated
thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Time Delay between Clicking Track List and appearing in midi Editor

Bump ! help is appreacited. This delay really slows my workflow.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 AM

Bump ! any ideas anyone?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Suggestions anyone ?? Bump
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM

You might have maxed your system, when was the last time you did a fresh install of Windows on a new partition or starting back from a clone? Pro Tools likes it lean and mean.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Hi Jeanpaul, happens to me too in the edit and mix view. right-clicking and selecting (show/hide) is (a bit) faster. Fastest (on my system) is selecting all tracks I want to show/hide, then right click and select show/hide. Trying to do this by clicking the track show/hide icons one by one in a 100+ tracks session is quite annoying indeed, even if cpu load is low.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM

@ filosofem: my system is lean and clean, freshly installed last week. I've seen this on other systems in other studio's too. I'm talking about sessions with at least dozens of tracks.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Thanks guys for the response
Same here...I recently re-formated the main partition, installed clean Win7 Pro + Pro Tools 9.03, and I am having that lag problem, mainly with sessions that have lots of tracks. Its annoying and slows down the work flow, waiting for tracks to appear in the Midi editor.
I've tried with showing/hiding groups of tracks and its same delay.
Avid needs to fix that.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Does this lag behaviour present itself when there are no active MIDI type tracks?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Does this lag behaviour present itself when there are no active MIDI type tracks?
yep, it does. I'm not using any MIDI tracks. I'm talking any other kind of track (audio/aux/master/instrument). will try with midi and vca's but I'm pretty much convinced it won't make any difference. One thing else that pops to mind, as far as I remember I haven't been bothered by such delays when switching track views by recalling memory locations, but I will have to double-check this tomorrow, since I'm not in the studio right now.