Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Default Having problem when i play/playback the midi instrument track

Hi all.I have been getting problem when i try to listen that i recorded midi instrument track.I don't understand exactly what is happening.When i play or record i can hear what i play or record but then record finished and try to listen that i recorded i can not have voice from my midi instrument track.sometimes i have been getting so funny voice just like beat on table.I don't really understand what is this?Any idea ?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Having problem when i play/playback the midi instrument track

I am also having the same problem this guy is trying to describe.
First off i am using protools 8.04 and snow leopard 10.6.4. I have trashed all preferences and database files relaunched protools and still no luck.

The problem is as followed. I set up my instrument track load structure and record, at this point everything is all good. When i go to play back what i have done it does not playback what i recorded. It appears that protools is not reading back the midi properly. In the edit window it shows clearly all the long drawn out sustained notes but plays them back staccato. I thought maybe it was structure so i loaded a different vi and same problem.

I looked at everything i can think of. I have never had this problem before and this is the first time I have used midi in 8.04 since i upgraded from 8.01.
In 8.01 and 10.5.8 I never had this problem. Has anyone had the same problem or is this another issue with 8.04 like the infamous solo problem that i keep getting and have yet to see a fix.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhead View Post
I am also having the same problem this guy is trying to describe.
First off i am using protools 8.04 and snow leopard 10.6.4. I have trashed all preferences and database files relaunched protools and still no luck.

The problem is as followed. I set up my instrument track load structure and record, at this point everything is all good. When i go to play back what i have done it does not playback what i recorded. It appears that protools is not reading back the midi properly. In the edit window it shows clearly all the long drawn out sustained notes but plays them back staccato. I thought maybe it was structure so i loaded a different vi and same problem.

I looked at everything i can think of. I have never had this problem before and this is the first time I have used midi in 8.04 since i upgraded from 8.01.
In 8.01 and 10.5.8 I never had this problem. Has anyone had the same problem or is this another issue with 8.04 like the infamous solo problem that i keep getting and have yet to see a fix.
We both have almost same equipments.I also use macbook pro. But i don't think so the problem because of version of Snow leopard.I tried also Garage Band software no problem i can record play listen without problem.The problem just because of Pro tools.I checked tried everythings also about playback engine,midi setup,plug in buffer etc...No solution...and it is also not because of plug ins.I tried with different plug ins.Structure,expand etc...It is so funny not working.Sometimes i stop the play and re-play and it just read couple midi notes and again stop...I should also say my midi controller with Usb.But the problem is just playback from pro tools.Really need assistance i have to prepare some backgrounds and interrupted just because of this problem.I also tried to open an audio track and send the instrument output to bus 1-2 to audio track'S input as bus 1 it is also not solution.It is looking like it can not read from instrument tracks you are right...By the way what is exactly " infamous solo problem " ?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Sometimes when I solo a track and then unsold it protools does not make any sound it is like on the tracks are still muted but the solo button is not engaged
I usually have stop playback and strart again to clear the problem
From what I see there is at least 50 other users that experience the same thing

I am also starting see other issues with 8.04 and snow leopard
I might go back to 8.03 and see if the problems are resolved
Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Hey body.First try these then try your ways.

"

It sound like you may not be correctly sending the MIDI signal from the MIDI track to the actual MIDI instrument plug-in in your session. Instrument tracks function differently than what you were used to doing in PTLE 6.8, so... here's what you should be doing:

1) Create a Stereo Instrument Track

2) In the Inserts area of the track (easiest to see this area when looking at the Mix window) insert your Superior Drummer plug-in, and load up a drum kit.

3) Record-enable the Instrument track.

You should now be able to play your MIDI controller, hear the drums, and see several things: a) Audio Meters moving in the main meter area, b) MIDI meters moving in the little "Instruments" area at the top of the Mix window for that track (you may need to enable this under the "View" menu), and c) if you hit record, you should see MIDI notes/regions being recorded on the instrument track in the Edit Window. Once you're done recording, stop and hit playback and you should hear your performance.

Instrument Tracks are a combination of a single MIDI channel track and a stereo Aux track wrapped up in one, so as long as you're only working with one MIDI channel on your virtual instrument, the single Instrument Track is all you need. If you had a multi-channel VI like a sampler, you would add regular MIDI tracks to your session and set their outputs to channels 2-16 (depending on what was needed) of the VI you're using, but all the audio will still show up on the Instrument Track.

"

First i didn'T care about it sounds like funny but i tried it worked.You try also maybe it workd in your system also.Wonder about the result!?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM

I have no problem playing the virtual instrument or recording midi. everything tracks fine and the instrument plays fine. In this case i was using structure. The problem i am having is the midi does not play back the way it is suppose to. When you look at the midi recorded in the editor and it shows a sustained note but it only plays the hit of the note and then is silent through the rest of the performance. I also tried different vi's and so far no luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Angry Re: Having problem when i play/playback the midi instrument track

Yeah this is also my problem.To play the recorded tracks from instruments tracks.But the funniest in the morning i solved it was working for playback also.But now i tried same method now it is again not working I will be mad ! I can still listen any play them back that i recorded in the morning but when i open a new instrument tracks and insert plug in.i can not hear what i recorded.As different just came to dining room with same equipment unbelievable !
Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This could be a couple of things - most likely your controller is set to output on multiple zones, thus Pro Tools is recording two MIDI notes for every key press. Turning off mulitple zones should help. Alternately you can set the input to the track to the keyboard and specific MIDI channel you want to record from that keyboard.

I got this from tech support from another thread i posted. It worked basically my keyboard was outputting info from 2 different zones. I have a keystation pro88 and not only did i have zone 1 turned on but i also had zone 3 turned. As i was playing the VI everything sounded fine but protools was recording midi info from 2 different zones and i guess this messed with the midi recorded in protools causing the playback to playback wrong.

check your midi controller keyboard and make sure it is set for one zone if you have multiple zones and try to record again and see if it happens
The track i recorded last night is no good because of the info from 2 zones but when i just recorded to a new track all is well.

I hope this helps
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM

if you are unsure how to check your zones you can turn the controller off and do a reset. This will bring it back to factory settings.