Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 PM

Default QT7 won\'t play MIDI-1 files exported by PT7!

Okay, so I export to MIDI alot in my work. Ever since I went up to PT7, I'm suddenly realizing that when I export to Type-1 MIDI, I now get a TWELVE-HOUR-LONG file full of NOTHING. Exporting to a type-0 MIDI file is good, but Type-1 equals 12-hour nothing-fest! (11 hours, 55 minutes and 49 seconds, to be exact).

Yes, the song start and the session start are one and the same, as evidenced by the new Song/Session start selector switch being grayed out.

No, I don't have a MIDI region that accidentally stretches out for 12 hours.

I've tried with and without the Time-Based applications checkbox. No go.

Anyone know what's going on here?

P.S.- A tech support call verified that this is an issue. Whether it's Quicktime (7.0.3) or ProTools (7) remains to be seen, but it's looking like a QT issue at this point.

Bugger.

News flash for anyone who MIGHT be reading this: It appears to be a Pro Tools issue now. I went back to QT6.5.2 and it plays my PT7-exported MIDI-1 type files the same way (12 hours of solid nothing). Also, MIDI-1 files that were exported with ProTools 6 and below, they all play fine in Quicktime 7. So it would appear there's something in the way ProTools 7 is exporting MIDI-1 files.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Avid

Default Re: QT7 won\'t play MIDI-1 files exported by PT7!

Eric - this is a known issue and is being worked on.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:19 PM

I teach audio at Santa Barbara City College. I was demo-ing MIDI export (the classes first assignment) in front of 40 students when I ran across this gem of a bug. Please let me know when this bug is fixed!
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Hey Eric,
Thanks to your verbage, the term "12 hour nothing-fest" has become commonplace in both sections of my class. They completed thier projects but can't hear the results. Interesting thing is, if you re-import the 12 hour nothing-fest Std MIDI file back into ProTools, it comes back into a new session just fine. Hmmm? This should make grading the 50 projects very interesting! I can't very well let my students leave an electronic music class without knowing how to deal with MIDI on this most basic level! Common DIGI.... patch this bug already!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Whew, I FINALLY come to realize I'm not the ONLY person who is experiencing this AND is being set back by it! I, too, hope the lads in the lab coats are working on a solution, because now I have to install PT6 on a separate partition (which I'm glad I have!) and use that whenever I'm working on MIDI ringtones. I had been submitting the ones made in PT7 and had heard no complaints until now. This means I have to go back and re-save all those sessions as PT6 ones, then open them in PT6 and re-save them with THAT...then re-submit the whole kit and/or kaboodle! AAAAARRGGH!!!!!

Man, do I hope they come up with a fix for this and soon. If only for the two of us.

Sigh...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Consider me a 3rd, Eric.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-14-2006, 06:11 PM

Hey Eric... do you have a PC? I was able to grade all the projects easily because Windows Media Player 9 plays them back perfectly - patch changes, realtime, global, and channel specific data.... everything. Can you say PTLE 7.1?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Yeah, I had noticed that curious side effect! When I first had the problem, I sent affected MIDI files to friends to see if and how they played on their machines, and all my PC friends said they played just fine in Windows Media Player. I took that as a good sign and forged ahead with my ringtone creation, only to find out later that the files I submitted still weren't "right" and were not playing on many of the phones in the testing stage. So I had to go back and do the process mentioned earlier in this thread. Groan.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 AM

Great, I just came across this bug too. I need to supply a standard midi file for a handheld video game device. When I export midi from PT7.1 M-Powered on my mac, QT flakes with it as mentioned above, Windows Media Player on my PC plays it, the conversion software I'm using to get the song into the gaming device gives an error when reading the file, and Sonar doesn't seem to like it either.

Anyone have a good work around for this? Anyone at Digi have an ETA for this bug fix? It puts a pretty serious roadblock in my workflow and time is ticking...
Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 PM

I keep fearing this fix is WAY in the back of their to-do list, when you consider this thread only has us 3-4 people responding!

What I had to do was install PT6 on another partition and use THAT whenever I'm working with General Midi file exports. It sucks, but it works for the time being.