Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2021, 10:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: EuControl Settings - Explanation

No, the Pro should be on its own and the Air on top of the S1
Old 11-07-2021, 04:46 PM

OK - this is really beginning to make sense. If you can review two new screenshots I'd appreciate it. I'm going to use the UAD API 2500 plug as an example of a big difference I see in the two setups. When calling up this plugin on a track through the S1 I am able to use the encoders on both the S1 as well as the Dock. The Dock encoders are much better but the encoders on the Dock only show half of the parameters on the API 2500 as the encoders show on the S1. I tried to create a Custom Map from the tablet on the Dock and there were no additional parameters available. I'm hoping this makes sense. I prefer to use the encoders on the Dock because of the feel. Any ideas on how I can create a mapping of all available controls?

I appreciate the support!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EuControl Pro Master.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EuControl.jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:19 AM
Avid

I would need to see an image of the S1 and Dock/Tablet with this plugin displayed.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:12 PM

Hi Eddie!

OK so I've removed then added back all surfaces and Control app in EuControl. I wanted to see if it changed by putting the smaller iPad Air horizontally on the Dock and the iPad Pro horizontally on the S1. I see no difference. I have included updated screen shots. The OLED's on the S1 this time around show more of the controls of the API 2500 but as you'll see on the actual screen the controls for the 2500 are limited. If you have time please let me know what you think.

I'd prefer to keep the tablets on the surfaces as they currently are.

Best...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2500 on S1.jpg (54.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg S1 OLED of 2500.jpg (50.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UAD API 2500.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EuControl Pro as Master.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-09-2021, 08:10 AM
Avid

This is the difference between EUCON DYN/EQ knobsets and Insert knobsets. The Insert knobsets come with the plugin from the manufacturer, they design the layout of them. The EQ/DYN knobsets are laid out by Avid and the knobs always appear in the same place no mater which plugin is focused (like a traditional Console) This does have its limitations though as only a basic set of knobs are in these and even trying to make a custom map doesn't help. Soooo, to work around this you make a Custom map in the Inserts knobs. You can make either one map 1x8 that will show the same on both the S1 and Dock or 2 different maps 1x8 and 4x2 which will show on the S1 and Dock respectively. Then in EuControl turn on the Pref "Show EQ/DYN plugins on Surface as Inserts if theres...." That will now always show the Inserts map you made.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:10 PM

Gotcha.
Man you're good. I just created a 4x2 and see how I can use the encoders on the S1 vs the Dock. If I could ask you a quick sidebar question, I posted on another category here asking about the potentiometers on the S1 vs the Dock. The Dock has pretty great encoders, nice and tight vs the more flimsy feel of them on the S1. Is this by design? They can't be the sam pots can they? I ask because I am planning on adding another S1 and want to know what I can expect.

Anyhow, as always thank you very much for the help!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:19 PM
Avid

Well...it's all a matter of taste. A lot of people think the encoders on the Dock are too stiff, you can't quickly grab them and make a fine adjustment, or if you are in Post Production, try doing a pan full left to right on the Dock.

I choose the S1 encoders so be careful what you say ;-) They are closer to the Artist Mix and S6.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:44 PM

Understood - Thanks