Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 PM

Default Suggested PlugIns swap from UAD "classics"

Hi team -

Long on/off relationship with protools. Now back in for good working on a small recording project with a Carbon, my 2019 MBPro and some quality mics that I've had for some time. The Carbon is frankly an incredibly satisfying piece of technology. Running PT Ultimate on my MacBookPro and loving tracking with DSP enabled. That one cat6 cable can drive that 1RU unit is unbelievable. The process is so organic to anyone who's studio tracked before.

One thing i'm unsure / missing are familiar touchpoints of hardware processing such as LA2A/3A, 1176 or Neve 33609, Lexicon Verb etc. I know that UAD plug ins require their own DSP unit if you're tracking. And from what I've read in this forum bringing another I/O alongside Carbon/PT is counter to reason I went with the Carbon in the first place.

So - asking the hive mind here for suggestions of either a workflow for integrating UAD Plugins into my workflow - or really just suggesting some AAX-DSP/Native Plugins that you feel are comparable?

PT 12.7 / Ultimate
MBP2019 / 4TB/ 2.4GHz 8core i9
64GB DDR4
Carbon I/O

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Suggested PlugIns swap from UAD "classics"

This is one opinion, so please take it as such. I have had UAD cards in 2 machines so I have a working knowledge of some of the pluses and minuses. For me, the minuses have led me to bail on UAD(too much money and too much latency). The ONLY way to track with UAD plugins is to use Apollo as your interface, and the plugins, while great, will probably not make better recordings(that's on the talent and the engineer).

For plugin substitutes, there are tons of LA2A options. I like the Waves CLA-2A and the new Slate version, and still use SMACK!(Avid's LA2A) on every mix I do(pop/rock/country mostly). For an 1176, Waves and Slate cover that quite nicely too. For the Neve compressor, that might be tougher, but as with any single device, its not going to make or break a recording(again, my opinion). Check out Plugin Alliance to see what DSP stuff they offer. For reverbs, Avid has a solid collection, and if Lexicon is your "go to", then get the Lexicon branded plugin package. I also like Avid SPACE with the Bricasti and Lexicon IR's I have, but mostly I use IK Multimedia's Classik Reverbs for Lexicon-style verb.

On a side note; I love the sound of an LA2A and had great success with the Warm Audio WA2A using it during recording. While I had everything required for using hardware inserts, I never did(beyond testing and verifying that it all worked). I just prefer the 100% recallability of keeping the mix ITB(in the box). Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2021, 08:47 AM

Thank you Dave, if I may call you that. I appreciate the insight and experience.

Scott
Old 10-19-2021, 02:07 AM

Good question ! I do not have much experience with UAD or with racks of sweet classic compressors, but I come from a couple of years using Acustica Nebula (and Acqua plugins) and frankly getting fed up with latency and CPU usage.

As I am too back on PT with an HDX card.

Plugin Alliance have lot's of stuff and the beauty as there are almost all AAX-DSP, it's easy to try all of the plugins for 25 bucks.
Black Rooster have nice compressors, Massey has the CT5, UH-E Presswerk is a powerhouse, Waves have nice CLA-76 for exemple.

Right now I am trialing DMG Audio TrackComp, no realistic GUI, but here are the models included:
E-Channel, G-Bus, 76D, 2A, 76A, 160, Zener, 2k5

I am impressed with what I am hearing, really really impressed. Just my 2cents, as I am trying to narrow down compressor that I will actually use :)
MacBook Pro M2 Max
Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM

AVID Smack.
IK Multimedia EQP-1A, Opto Compressor, Black 76, & White 2A.
Waves Renn Comp.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-19-2021, 10:43 AM

Hello Scremedy,

Funny I'm just in the same boat, about to leave UAD also.
I found Plugin Alliance to be one of the best around, they also made a lot of plugins which can be found in the UAD library.
Next in line is Softube also making a lot for UAD.
Only problem I have right now, I'm paying for plugins (again) which I already own on the UAD side...
Just bought the plugins at Sonnox already, now in search for an good LA2A which I put on every drumkit I mix.

But me leaving UAD is in progress.

ps plugin alliance: brainworks bx Townhouse Buss Compressor is awesome

Have fun in going the same path
Sonnet Allegro Pro USB-A 3.2 (4-port)
UAD-2 Octo

MTRX v.2.4.1.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
16" MacBookPro (2023) M2 Max 12-core, 64gb Ram, 1Tb SSD, OSX 14.4.1
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station
Old 10-19-2021, 09:06 PM

I agree that Plugin Alliance stuff is really solid if you're looking for AAX DSP.

McDSP as well. Their 6030 covers a ton of models and is DSP.

DMG and Kush are great.

For reverbs check Liquid Sonics / Reverb Foundry.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:12 PM

I used to work with a lot of UAD plugins in my main studio but after the pandemics, I had to start doing much more work from my home studio using an Apollo Solo, which is really weak in DSP.

So I just start to try different Waves plugins to substitute UAD and I believe especially the new ones are as good as the UADs. My suggestion is to do some tests with SCheps, Vitamin, Abbey Road Series, and RS124. The analog and saturation stuff is really good.

Cheers,

Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremedy View Post
Hi team -

Long on/off relationship with protools. Now back in for good working on a small recording project with a Carbon, my 2019 MBPro and some quality mics that I've had for some time. The Carbon is frankly an incredibly satisfying piece of technology. Running PT Ultimate on my MacBookPro and loving tracking with DSP enabled. That one cat6 cable can drive that 1RU unit is unbelievable. The process is so organic to anyone who's studio tracked before.

One thing i'm unsure / missing are familiar touchpoints of hardware processing such as LA2A/3A, 1176 or Neve 33609, Lexicon Verb etc. I know that UAD plug ins require their own DSP unit if you're tracking. And from what I've read in this forum bringing another I/O alongside Carbon/PT is counter to reason I went with the Carbon in the first place.

So - asking the hive mind here for suggestions of either a workflow for integrating UAD Plugins into my workflow - or really just suggesting some AAX-DSP/Native Plugins that you feel are comparable?

PT 12.7 / Ultimate
MBP2019 / 4TB/ 2.4GHz 8core i9
64GB DDR4
Carbon I/O

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:13 PM

For those looking for a 33609 emulation IKMM has one in their TRacks line and Arturia has one. As mentioned Plugin Alliance has some really good emulations - their Purple Audio 77 (1176 emu) gets love around here on my drum bus.

QAPLA!
Old 10-24-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For those looking for a 33609 emulation IKMM has one ...
Thnx for the tip! I own it but don't think I've gotten around to trying it out - yet! This one, right? https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trpreccomplim/
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume