Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2001, 06:30 AM

Default DSP "max out" my rig cycles round looking for space, finaly needing to be crashed.

As I reach DSP "max out" the reactivation / deactivation of plug ins that PT does to find space, just gets locked into an endless loop, I have to crash PT to get out of it...

Anyone else here ever had that?

Perhaps it's my Sony Plug EQ in (Amazing BTW)

Not the end of the world but not what you need towards the end of a big mix..

Setup:
Beige G3, (was 300) with XLR8 G4 500 chip, OS9.1
PT Mix + Mix farms & old DSP farms &
SampleCel II
Bit 3 7 slot exp chassis..
Apogee AD8000 SE
888/16
ProControl
Hotswap drives formatted by FWB.

Cheers
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-20-2001, 10:46 AM

Default Re: DSP "max out" my rig cycles round looking for space, finaly needing to be crashed.

hey jules -

i've never had it fully loop, but i've left it before and it probably took 20 minutes - every new plug (alot in this case), it deactivated everything, reactivated everything, gosh, no space!, then on to the next plug, deact, react......

certainly a pain in the butt. forcing a reboot would probably be quicker. i'd love for protools to give up once it can't find space once and leave everything else inactive. then i can choose what to do with all my plugs...

=a=
Old 10-20-2001, 02:35 PM

Default Re: DSP "max out" my rig cycles round looking for space, finaly needing to be crashed.

Ahhhh, my wise assistant sugested leaving it too... but I became to impatient..

Hmmmm

Usefull tip Adam thanks...!!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-20-2001, 09:06 PM

Jules,

I'm with you. When I'm mixing, I don't have time to wait 20 minutes for the DSP cycle either. I'm in my zone and I don't want to wait for some unknown element to f**k with my flow.

I set my autosave to every 1 minute and save the last 20 (it's a life saver). I crash my session, reboot my computer, trash all the Digi prefs and then open the autosaved session from 1 or 2 minutes before the voluntary crash and I'm up and away...five minutes tops. After opening the autosaved session, I then figure out what I need to bounce with FX, then add the plugin to the track that originally crashed the DSP manager, and carry on.

Life is too short to look at the tapping fingers until they (and the DSP manager) figure out what to do with your plugin's (if they ever do).

Setting autosave to this setting when in a deep mix, I find, is essential. Every move can count and one tends to forget to "save" every minute when in the heat of the mixing moment... thank God autosave can.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:01 PM

Jules,

That happens to me on the big mixes, too. De-activate, re-activate. Sometimes for a long time. I just wish PT would remember the combination that works to get the session to open. It's not something that auto save will help because every time you open the session it has to go through the same process to find the chip allocation that will work for the session, always in the same order and taking the same amount of time. I fear it's a problem that can only be solved with more farm cards, or printing some of your EQ or effects. I can rent them for $75 per day here in LA. That's what I do when I have to, which is not very often. I have a mix with 3 farms. The Sony EQ is pretty DSP hungry, so I'm sure it's changed you scene a lot.

Steve
Old 10-21-2001, 03:09 AM

Jules,

since we installed the Sony Oxford plugin (btw you were right ...AWESOME) we have noticed quite a few crashes to desktop when bouncing.The session was pretty maxed out on DSP , but I have never seen this before the oxford went in..
But as you say , its worth it LOLOL

Bill Padley
Wise Buddah Music
London
Old 10-21-2001, 07:57 AM

Yea, happens to us quite often too
and we don't use the Sony Oxford EQ.
Seems the main culprits are Virus,TeleRay, and Moogerfooger as they search for that higher bandwidth chip. We've had sessions open and saved that will not re-open minutes later when you come back to it to bounce a file to burn a CD. That's pretty frustrating AND IMPRESSIVE when the clients are sitting there waiting to get a CD and get on a flight!! Although 5.1.1is alot more efficient
with plugin sharing, I had hoped the deactivate reactivate process would be
gone