Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2015, 11:54 PM

Default Weird spit zero crossing thing

I'm not even sure how to explain this, when I split a clip the wave form automatically gets drawn back to the zero crossing.

I'm sure someone knows what this is but I can't even think of what I would search for.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Weird split zero crossing thing

Funny. Noticed that when reproducing.
Although, when re-recording that split clips to a print track, it looks normal. Consolidating over the split point also "heals" this.
Maybe just a graphics thing ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot.jpg (18.9 KB, 0 views)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Weird spit zero crossing thing

There's a preference in the Edit pull-down to separate Clip "at transients." Could this be causing your issue?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
separate Clip "at transients."
Even that produces at the right border of the new clips after separation a drawing to a zero-point. The left side of a new clip remains as before.
Edit - Separate Clips - At Transients does not look like a preference to me, there is no check-mark, that will stay latched. Looks like a command, and always asks for a pre-separate amount. Please correct me if I am wrong.
And it happens with just using "B".
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Even that produces at the right border of the new clips after separation a drawing to a zero-point. The left side of a new clip remains as before.
Edit - Separate Clips - At Transients does not look like a preference to me, there is no check-mark, that will stay latched. Looks like a command, and always asks for a pre-separate amount. Please correct me if I am wrong.
And it happens with just using "B".
Yes, everything you've said here is correct. I still haven't found the answer.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Maybe it works like this :
a clip is cut in two clips, the left clip has the drawing to zero at its right border,
BUT, the right clip has at the exact time / sample position still the correct value. There is a zero value AND a correct value at that position.
I believe, that when during playback the playback position hits this time (the cut border between the clips), the correct value (the value of the sample at the left side of the right clip) will be taken only. The zero value will probably be discarded.
This explains, that the zero drawing "vanishes" during re-recording, consolidation or healing separation.
The above looks valid, if the cut clips remain at their position, unmoved.

If the left clip with its zero drawing at the right border is moved to the left, producing a gap : the zero drawing does "no harm", it is a kind of auto-fade-out.

If the left clip with its zero drawing at the right border is moved to the right, producing an overlap : the zero drawing seems to be skipped and the value at that position is taken from the right clip.

I produced an audio file, that has a zero drawing and comprises visually 14 sample positions; the 14th position being the zero. Analyzed that with a BWF-inspector, that tells me, there are only 13 samples within this file.
The zero drawing may be some kind of visually zero padding the end of a clip.
Still strange.

Last edited by joachim; 11-17-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:52 AM

I have the same problem (on 12.5 now)
And to be honest it's not just a weird problem, but a serious one for me as well.
This means that after seperating a clip at a non-zero point, a click will now occur.
Also when rendering an audiosuite plugin over a portion of a clip, it will most likely result in a click at the rendered clip boundaries.

It is basically an auto-fade function (although there already is one, and it is switched of), which I really dont need.

Has anyone come up with a solution?