Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-23-2022, 11:52 AM

Default HDX Card or M1Max Macbook Pro?

Looking to upgrade my rig to be able to run large mix sessions without hitting the limits of my computer. I'm currently running on Pro Tools 10HD, so maybe just upgrading Pro Tools will open up processing power (via software enhancements in more recent versions), but would love to get any informed opinions.

My current rig: 5,1 Mac Pro, 12 Core 3.33ghz, 64gb ram, PCIE SSD Boot Drive.

Any thoughts on adding an HDX card to my current rig vs getting an M1Max Macbook Pro, basically maxed out on specs? I understand that the new operating system is not currently supported by pro tools and some plug-in manufacturers, but assuming that happens 1st half of this year, what would get me the best performance?
Old 01-23-2022, 12:37 PM

Default Re: HDX Card or M1Max Macbook Pro?

Lots for you to think about here.

Are you currently running HDX?

You currently have Digilink interface boxes right? To use on HDX?

How large are you sessions? Doing what? e.g. HDX is not going to help at all with VIs. For other plugins you use are they even available in AAX/HDX?

What are you trying to do? Add (more?) support for low-latency tracking through HDX plugins? Or hoping HDX will improve mix performance--especially for large mixes? If its the later the answer is likely simple, HDX will make things worse.... a single HDX card is unlikely to power large sessions, and you will end up needing to use HDX hybrid... which is great if you are solidly in HDX land but more likely just a PITA for folks who live today in native land... unless what is driving you is wanting low latency/robust tracking though HDX plugins.

A M1 Max MBP with Monterey currently will not run Avid's own Complete Plugin Bundle, and has other issues, and if you wanted to work at all you would be on the latest Pro Tools release... are you ready to make that transition from what you are running today? And you cannot downgrade that MBP to previous macOS releases. All plugins you need available in AAX64? Will they actually run today on apple silicon on Monterey with Pro Tools (many probably won't)? The transition to apple silicon is just getting going, there new Apple silicon based macs are fantastic and show lots of promise for where things are going in future but its' just the start of a long transition, which will include pro Tools and all the plugins migrating to Apple silicon native support (today everything is running, or not running in some cases) under Rosetta 2.

A 12 core cheesegrater is an old computer but still pretty nice. I would really focus on optimizing the system and my workflow. Looking for plugin related problems, running mix session at large IO buffer sizes, turning on disk cache (set to a size not "normal"), optimizing every last thing, maybe trying out some test upgrades to recent macOS and Pro Tools etc. (but be aware that AAX had CPU usage issues in its early days... were improved significantly in a 2018 release... so if upgrading I'd be trying to get on fairly recent Pro Tools and macOS releases... do that on a test drive, don't' trash your current install). You also don't' have track freeze/commit on Pro Tools 10 HD and that might be all you need here to let this systems survive for a long time... that was introduced in Pro Tools 12.4. (but again I would not go there, get on a much more recent version).
Old 01-23-2022, 01:05 PM

Thank you.. lots of good info here. Seems that upgrading pro tools, to enable track freezing and the better aax plugin handling, while keeping my current rig, is the best bet.

Do I need to purchase a perpetual license to be able to use a pro tools version that works on high sierra? In an ideal world, I’d move to monthly subscription based, but my understanding is that I’d have to use the most recent version of pro tools if I did that.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:15 PM

Pro Tools licensing is an Avid created mess, and the stupidity with subscriptions apparently supporting the latest version is well just not understandable. What numbat though that would be a good idea? Avid can't even copy what Adobe does and get it right... and yes an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription lets you get and run old stuff. This is all especially worse when combined with Avid not offering a way for users to upgrade old perpetual licenses.

The sensible advice may be to give up on Avid and Pro Tools and switch to Reaper or Logic Pro. Both immensely wonderful DAWs with often an order of magnitude less cost, less licensing games, and less overall hassle.

But I'm guessing that's not a practical option here. Avid had a promotional update program for folks with lapse update plans (or who never had one) but that ended December 31st. This promotional program: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...until-31st-dec What I would do is call a sales rep at Vintage King (my preference by far) or Sweetwater and see if they still have any of these upgrade promotional upgrade things to sell you. Try to make sure you're talking to somebody who really knows what they are talking about, if not ask to speak to a Pro Tools licensing expert.

You may also have the option of purchasing a used perpetual license with current update plan, folks here on DUC are advertising them now, but make sure you are buying from somebody who looks reputable/is known here.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:58 PM

Moving on from Pro Tools 10 is the first thing I would consider. Newer versions of Pro Tools are much more efficient all around. Unless you really need the low latency tracking features or more than 64 I/O, HDX probably doesn’t make a lot of sense.

You may not even need to keep using HD/ultimate, depending on what you’re doing. A lot of HD only features have become available in the standard pro tools version since PT10. VCAs, Heat, 64 I/o, folder tracks, input monitoring, freeze and commit. I think it is still missing some of the more advanced automation modes, and surround support…
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.