Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2000, 11:17 AM

Default Disk REALLY slow to ramp up to record

Yesterday's session was plagued by problems with my disks taking 4-5 seconds to go into record over 6-8 tracks. Since buying my MixPlus system (G4/350/192RAM/ATTO PSC 1.4.4f/Cheetah/Ultrastar drives) I've always kept the record allocation to OPEN ENDED and have been able to record on 1-24 tracks with about a 0-1second wait before going into record.

Today's troubleshooting revealed the following:

1. Internal ATA drive went into record on 8 tracks 3 times as fast as Ultrastar 10K SCSI drive (Mac is completely compato-ready and settings are ideal)

2. Recording to FireWire VST 40GB took the same ramp-up time as SCSI disk, just as a test. I don't normally use this for audio.

3. Reducing allocation to 30 minutes or so resulted in WAY faster response. On any disk (SCSI/FW/ATA internal).

4. DAE buffer setting didn't make much of a difference.

I've never had this problem in the past year. Could the ATTO EPT have something to do w/ it?

The obvious answer is that Yes, limiting recording to a 30-60 minute max will result in better response, but It's never been an issue.

Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2000, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Disk REALLY slow to ramp up to record

Found this on a search from our man Steve:

Yes, HFS+ is supported with 5.0.

You will notice a delay when the Pro Tools primes for recording (the period of time between hitting Record and the drives actually begining to write data). This is a consequence of having to account for the increased number of allocation blocks under HFS+. There is a preference that allows you to preallocate less space than the whole drive, which will speed up record priming.

There is no delay associated with playback.

------------------
--Steve Rosenthal, Digidesign ETS

I think I might reformat HFS. Since reformatting in EPT, I DID do HFS+, so I think this is the answer...