Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Access Violation

Wherenever i try to load my Pro Tools now i receive this message, "Could not Complete your request because of access violation occured", What does that mean and how can i solve it...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Access Violation

Follow the directions in the General Troubleshooting thread about trashing prefs and databases:
Quote:
Trash DAE and Pro Tools preference files
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) or correct hard drive (click "show the contents of this drive" if the files aren't displayed) > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) > Documents and Settings > "Your user folder" > Application Data > Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete. (If the Application Data folder is not showing: Tools Menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Click Apply and OK.)

- Delete the Digidesign Databases folders for all hard drives
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Digidesign Databases > Right-click on the Digidesign Databases folder and delete. Repeat for all hard drives.
(Note: These folders are temporary folders created, used, and sometimes deleted by the program. Never store any session data or other important data within them.)
Start menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Databases > Right-click on the Volumes folder and delete.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 PM

It's worth mentioning that I've had the same problem. A few times, I've had a message telling me that PT cannot save/autosave because of an access violation. Every time this has happened to me so far, it's been after modifying a MIDI velocities across a few regions. When I discovered this, undoing the velocity changes got rid of the message, and I had to do it a bit differenty. A bit of a problem for me, as I make my living as a MIDI programmer now, but I've been able to work around it. Just thought it's worth pointing out.

This is why I don't only save often but use the "Save As..." command whenever I make a big change. If something goes weird in "Song_10.pts" I can "roll back" to "Song_09.pts" and try and find the source.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM

I never have that problems with MIDI velocities. I do a ton of MIDI work as well.
Trashing your preferences (as mentioned on the troubleshooting page) might clear up that access violation error.

You can also turn on auto save; it would save you a lot of time, effort and clutter.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-23-2006, 12:21 AM

After the first couple times I learned to trace it. I should mention that it has happened when I highlight multiple notes/regions and modify them with the MOUSE, not with the Midi event operations option. But it doesn't always happen.

Autosave is necessary for me as some of what I do is development, and once in a rare while PT and my development tools don't like each other. It hasn't ruined anything, though when I first got the message that PT couldn't save, I was kinda freaked! It's definitely something worth DIGI investigating, IMO.