Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-11-2022, 01:47 PM

Default EZDRUMMER & Pro Tools - Quick Basic Question

I just got EZ Drummer 3 but confused about something...

In order to construct a drum part to my song (the song i have currently have in pro tools) I need to be able to have it sync to the EZDrummer software right? So is the most common way to do this to use EZDrummer as a plugin in Pro Tools? Then when the Tracks in pro tools are playing I can use EZDrummer software to create a drum part? This is the only way to get the two things syncing up or is there another way?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:53 PM

Default Re: EZDRUMMER & Pro Tools - Quick Basic Question

Yes just use it as intended with any DAW as a plugin. You just run the standard installer and get to work with the plugin instantiated on an *instrument* track. Nothing to overthink about. Find the documentation or a tutorial close to what you want to do and follow along to get started actually using it.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1234 View Post
I just got EZ Drummer 3 but confused about something...

In order to construct a drum part to my song (the song i have currently have in pro tools) I need to be able to have it sync to the EZDrummer software right? So is the most common way to do this to use EZDrummer as a plugin in Pro Tools? Then when the Tracks in pro tools are playing I can use EZDrummer software to create a drum part? This is the only way to get the two things syncing up or is there another way?
Yes, I answered your question on the Toontrack Forum as well. Like Darryl indicated, create a stereo instrument track and instantiate EZDrummer 3.
@shootie makes some really good videos from beginner to advanced for EZD3.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCva...-Biv0M_Ypk_xCw
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 07-14-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes just use it as intended with any DAW as a plugin. You just run the standard installer and get to work with the plugin instantiated on an *instrument* track. Nothing to overthink about. Find the documentation or a tutorial close to what you want to do and follow along to get started actually using it.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2022, 03:15 PM

Expanding on that a bit from the standpoint of creating/editing MIDI, you can create the MIDI parts in the plugin and have it play back in sync with ProTools (hit play on PT and the plugin starts, too), or you can have the MIDI on a ProTools track which will then be routed to EZD3. Functionally, there's little difference, it's just a matter of which editor you find easier to use, the PT track or EZD3's own MIDI editor.

If I'm using EZD3's MIDI libraries, I'll typically start by placing segments into EZD3's editor, getting the rough layout, then dragging that to a PT track and turn of Sync in EZD3.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:22 PM

Hello there,

I see that you acquired EZdrummer 3.
Very cool!

EZdrummer is very easy to use as the name implies but there area couple things you can do "logistically" to enhance it's accompaniment ability in your productions.

Since recommending EZdrummer in your other thread, I feel inclined to help with some tips.

I've gotten really satisfying results by establishing the tempos of my songs and recording my guitar tracks to a click track BEFORE applying EZdrummer's virtual drumming capability.

If your guitar tracks haven't been recorded to a click track already, it is worth the effort to do so.
Even if you need to re-record the parts. Any good song is worth re-working.

I remember disciplining myself to do this with a view to having some EZdrummer fun later.
Didn't regret it.

Duplicating a basic drum pattern that represents the main feel across the timeline works well for starts also.
Then you can drag & drop more sophisticated patterns & fills onto the Pro Tools timeline later.

I started recording so much guitar like this and have had a blast syncing up EZdrummer 2.
Really cool listening to the drums provide added life to latent guitar tracks.
I remember enjoying a whole summer dropping in more than enough usable drum patterns for my tracks.

Just sync up EZdrummer and let the players who created the MIDI tracks provide the skillset.
Combined with your original song ideas, the patterns themselves take on a new feel & vice versa.

Sometimes it takes time to find a pattern you really like. But since you've recorded to a click, more will fit than not.
And the new "Tap Search" function for finding suitable patterns is really well implemented in EZdrummer 2 & 3.

With practice, you can create any pattern you envision in the MIDI editor faster than going through a whole library.
But sometimes you come upon a bank of patterns that take the guitar to a whole new level.
These can also serve as pattern templates since all the notes are already there so you can modify easily from there.

It's like having your own drummer on the other side of the glass.
The drummers enlisted by Toontrack provide the skill-sets & repertoire. You call the shots & arrangements.
You're the producer.
You can tailor patterns easily with some basic MIDI editing skills in PT.

Here's an overview as well as some useful tips:

1. As mentioned, establish tempos and record to a click track or a basic starter pattern to keep time. A basic pattern that represents the overall feel of the song duplicated across the timeline can be a little more inspiring.

You know your guitar recording is in good time when each guitar section loops without any audible glitches upon playback.
This is a good take to sync EZdrummer to.

It's all about when "1" comes around.
Nevertheless, you can "weave" in and out of the click giving it a rhythmically dynamic & human feel.

Use the Pro Tools Edit Window as a visual aid to anticipate when you are coming to the top of each bar/section during recording.

Now you can sync EZdrummer with Pro Tools by enabling "Follow Host".
Browse and listen to a number of patterns on the fly as your guitar tracks playback.
Then just drag & drop suitable patterns onto the PT timeline as you choose.

2. Disable the option "Insertion Follows Playback"* when selecting and looping recorded sections on the timeline.

* This option can be found upper left after the 12345, 4th button over. Turn it off when looping.

This will enable you to maintain your loop selections on your guitar track both during & after playback.
Great for auditioning EZdrummer patterns in sync with the guitar.
This also keeps the loop selection while editing notes in the MIDI editor during playback.

As far as editing patterns: Simply shifting the kick and snare or simply adding/omitting a note or two goes a long way in tailoring a groove to your liking.
With "Insertion Follows Playback" is disabled you can loop and edit notes at the same time.

3. Select a recorded guitar section to loop & hit play in Pro Tools. Then hit the tiny play button at the edge of the pattern name in the EZ library.
Hitting play on the pattern will automatically snap it to the top of the measure Pro Tools is playing.

I believe simultaneous start of playback only works when using the Song Track for the drum patterns EZdrummer.

I personally prefer to use the PT Instrument Track EZdrummer is on for drag n dropping patterns and creating arrangements but that's just because I've already developed a workflow I like.
Plus I can visually see each drum section as it relates to the guitar.

I know you also would like to create your own MIDI drum patterns and that's another chapter.
While I have a few self-created drum tracks, my drumming repertoire doesn't surpass the EZ pattern library or other Toontrack libraries I've invested in.
I have no problem giving a credit to those players!

Hope these tips benefit your songs & personal productions.

With every good wish & musical passion,

Mike

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-12-2022 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:47 AM

I had a chance to update to EZdrummer 3 and the new Bandmate feature makes some of my previous advice a little less relevant I suppose.

Nevertheless, tracking your DI guitar parts to a click can only make the results you get from Bandmate that much better!

If you've already made this a practice then you'll have a lot of Bandmate-ready material to offer.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-12-2022 at 05:58 AM.