Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Default How to make vocals sound better?

Hi,

I would like your opinion on the best effects to use on vocals to make them sound great.

Thanks in advance for any advice and expert information you can provide!

Sincerely,

Jeff
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Re: How to make vocals sound better?

Get a great singer, a great mic, a great preamp and a good sounding room. Seriously, telling you anything here would be like coloring by numbers or shooting in the dark. First off, one persons trash is another's perfect track(Seattle grunge???). Start by experimenting with the tools you have. Digging into the stock plugins can get you pretty far. Insert EQ III one band and set it for hi-pass at around 140Hz(adjust based on the vocal and range). Then insert BF76 and set to 4:1. Adjust the input so the gain reduction meter shows 6-10 db of GR and adjust output so the meter gets into the yellow(but don't go too hot here). Now add EQ III 4 band. Start with either mid band and set it very narrow and to +9. Now sweep the frequency until you hear "ugly" jump out at you. Cut that frequency(-3 to start). Repeat with the other mid band. Is it getting better? Depending on a lot of things, you might need the 7 band(but YOU have to make that choice). Now add an AUX send to an AUX track(maybe 2 sends and 2 AUX tracks). Insert the medium delay plugin on one AUX track and experiment with times between 60ms and 150ms. Pull the AUX fader down so you just barely hear the echo/slapback. On the other AUX track, insert a reverb plugin(Dverb is not the greatest, but it is better than none). experiment with the different algorithm choices and try the reverb decay between 2.3s and 3.5s(faster the song, shorter the time). BTW, there's no rule that say you can't use 2 compressors on a vocal(I do it a lot). No rules, only suggestions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM

LOL....So will this help the Black Eyed Peas sound any better?

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM

I'm not an expert in any way but, it really depends on what kind of vocals and what you think sounds good. To me, all vocals need as little effects added as possible. So if you're doing a singing-track (in my opinion), maybe double up the vocals and add a little reverb. I really hate hearing over-processed vocals, so I try to make as much of it as natural as possible. Also if you're doing rap vocals, I try to keep them with as little reverb as possible, but still present. Hope that helps, but truthfully play by ear. (no pun intended)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM

+1
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 AM

If you have waves plugins like C6 and renissance vox they can really help they are really good comps. I highly recommend.

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 PM

IMO, vocals should first sound great before and without effects. Hit record producers and engineers are full aware of the turd in turd out philosophy. Albee is spot on with great singer, a great mic, a great preamp and a good sounding room. +1 on everything else he said if you do not have that.

Also google split harmonizer for vocals.

In general pro mixing tutorials use the same techniques of course applied differently based on the style... comp, eq, delay, verb, maybe chorusing, duplicate tracks and automation. In almost every case the voc performance and recording quality already sounds great.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm sorry. There are many types of music and maybe it wouldn't change your opinion, but I am trying to create vocals for hard rock.

I'm doing the best I can to learn how to sing as good as I can, so I have a good starting point!

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 AM

Waves has this and I've heard new engineers rave about it.

Grab the demo and try it. Let us know.

And iZotope has this.

They have a demo too.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Waves has this and I've heard new engineers rave about it.

Grab the demo and try it. Let us know.

And iZotope has this.

They have a demo too.
Tom,

Thank you very much for the tip! Something like this will definitely help a noob like me! I'm still trying to get Pro Tools down, but I will be getting a demo and trying out for sure. I will let you know how it goes.

At first glance, I think CLA Vocals is the one I will try first.

Many thanks again!

Jeff