Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Ways to send session files?

Here is what I would like to do:

1. Send a Pro Tools session to another PT user,

2. Let that user lay down additional tracks, mix, tweak, etc.

3. Have that user send the session back for me to work on.

Preferably, I would like to only send audio files that are being used (not all the takes still in the audio files folder) and have the process easy and inexpensive enough to do on a regular basis. Appreciate the help!

Stuie
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Ways to send session files?

Here are a few ways to do it. Lose all the unwanted audio and "save session copy as" and email(if its a small enough file). Burn that session copy onto a CD or DVD and mail or fedex. Create your sessions on a firewire drive and fedex the drive back and forth. Upload the session copy to an FTP site and your partner can download it. Bounce your tracks to a stereo pair(starting from time zero) and email the stereo file with a note about tempo and the other guy can just import the rough mix into a new session, set the same tempo(BPM) and go. Then they could send you the new audio for you to import into your session(make sure they consolidate all tracks all the way back to zero so they all line up when you import. If your partner is using the same platform (PC or MAC) it will be simple. If you are switching platforms, you need to ensure that "enforce MAC/PC compatibilty" is checked. It will also help if both systems are using the same version of PT or at least similar(i.e. 6.4 on one rig and 6.9 on the other). It will also help if both parties have the same plugin packages or don't use any fancy stuff until you have all your tracks recorded and are ready to mix.(not really a big deal but saves getting the messages abot missing plugins).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Ways to send session files?

Thank you, thank you...but two questions.

Quote:
Lose all the unwanted audio and "save session copy as" and email(if its a small enough file).
1. What is the quickest/easiest way to do this, so that you are SURE you are not getting rid of any files that you are really using?

Quote:
Upload the session copy to an FTP site and your partner can download it.
2. Is this a pretty common way to do it? The FTP part seems pretty easy...I am likin' it...

How important is it that both parties have the same PT version? And great idea about not including plug-ins...had not thought about that...many thanks!

Stuie