Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2023, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Moving to Mac Studio Ultra... first version of a new line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I wonder what bad experiences they'd have. I've been using 32" and 34" 4K screens for a few years and only occasionally is there a problem with graphics that are too small, and it's usually a plugin, not ProTools. Even those plugins which felt too small are starting to get updates to make them resizable.

Or are you referring to some other issue with 4/5K monitors?
Good to know !...
Some users were disappointed by getting too tiny items displayed,... even with glasses
Old 03-14-2023, 02:16 AM

Default Moving to Mac Studio Ultra... first version of a new line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmount View Post
Good to know !...
Some users were disappointed by getting too tiny items displayed,... even with glasses

It all depends how far away you are positioned from the screen. My screen is about a metre away, so running it natively at 4K isn’t going to work. Things become too small.

My 34” 4K panel is running in Retina Mode, so it’s display resolution is actually 2K or 2560x1440 but double the pixel count so it’s like looking at an iMac Retina Display.

The only downside is the way macOS does the Retina Display thing. If actually upscales to 5K and then does the division down, so I’m pretty confident that it’s causing the ****ty integrated graphics in my Mac Mini to suffer and on certain apps (eg: Izotope RX, Photoshop) I get a slight screen stuttering when moving floating windows. Pro Tools is not affected so I put up with it.

I need to test it with my M1 MBA and see if the beefier graphics cope better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2023, 03:06 AM

Thanks,
my old Cinema Display HD 2560x1600 is what suites me well but a wider screen that would offer more infos displayed at the same time would be welcome...
Old 03-14-2023, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Yeah. I read an article where the writer thinks the Mac Studio is a one off to be discontinued once the Mac Pro comes in. The mini the becoming the "studio" with future upgrades.

Not so sure but interesting hypothesis. Of course only Apple knows. I'm really interested to see what the new Pro looks like. If priced too high my next mac is going to be a Studio.

C
I highly doubt they will kill the Studio off.
The Studio is the ideal computer for many creatives.
Even those of us with HDX or other PCIE cards.

I have a 2019 Mac Pro and an Ultra Studio with Sonnet xMac and 3 slot chassis.

I do not see the new Mac Pro being cheaper than the current one- at least that would be bucking the trend for Apple.

The Studio is the mid point between the Mini and the Pro.

Killing the Studio might force a few well heeled creatives to get the Pro, more likely they will make do with a Mini, iMac (if they ever revamp that) or even a top of the line MBP. It would be a backwards step for Apple IMHO.

I expect my current machines to last me for the next 5 years but if the new Mac Pro comes out and they solve the upgradeability issue then I could possibly sell both and go for a new Mac Pro. Without upgradeable RAM though, forget it.
The possible lack of upgradeability with the Mac Pro is a real issue for Apple.

SoC presents a real advantage but the Mac Pro has always been the machine that you can upgrade RAM, graphics and storage on. If SoC is implemented the way it is in the other machines that will be difficult or impossible. Unless there is some sort of slot in CPU/RAM upgrade path. But that doesn't seem likely either.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 03-14-2023, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I would be very surprised if Apple left such a vast gap between their top and bottom models. Unless they lower the price a decent margin, the MacPro simply isn't a feasible (nor necessary) option for the bulk of music and audio guys. As it is, even the Mac Studio is overkill, with plenty of room to grow. If this model goes away then there's nothing for me to buy w/ the Pro's laughable price tag and the Mini's lack of ability. My requirements aren't unique -- pretty common actually -- so a chunk of creators like me would be left in the cold. I don't see it happening, *unless* the Mini takes some major strides in performance.
Yes 100%.

Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 03-14-2023, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It all depends how far away you are positioned from the screen. My screen is about a metre away, so running it natively at 4K isn’t going to work. Things become too small.

My 34” 4K panel is running in Retina Mode, so it’s display resolution is actually 2K or 2560x1440 but double the pixel count so it’s like looking at an iMac Retina Display.

The only downside is the way macOS does the Retina Display thing. If actually upscales to 5K and then does the division down, so I’m pretty confident that it’s causing the ****ty integrated graphics in my Mac Mini to suffer and on certain apps (eg: Izotope RX, Photoshop) I get a slight screen stuttering when moving floating windows. Pro Tools is not affected so I put up with it.

I need to test it with my M1 MBA and see if the beefier graphics cope better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using an Optix MPG321UR QD gaming monitor.
I dislike curved monitors so this is a flat panel.

Higher refresh rate (144hz I think) is supported with the Studio Ultra, even over an (optical) 10m Thunderbolt 3 cable to an OWC dock (then TB3 to HDMI).
The higher refresh helps greatly with eye strain. I am of an age where I cannot use it in its native 4k resolution, I must scale to be able to see, even with glasses.

I am tempted to go for an OLED though, probably a larger size so it can be positioned a bit further back.

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 03-14-2023, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Yes 100%.
+1
Old 03-14-2023, 03:34 AM

Quote:
The higher refresh helps greatly with eye strain. I am of an age where I cannot use it in its native 4k resolution, I must scale to be able to see, even with glasses.
Maybe. For me it was changing bulk hdmi cable to Satechi 8K cable. Like a veil was lifted off the screen. Couldn't believe it! Digital is digital, right?
Old 03-14-2023, 03:46 AM

Quote:

I am tempted to go for an OLED though, probably a larger size so it can be positioned a bit further back.

Thanks,

Protools is the main app running here, and even though it's not optimized for 4k, who knows what will offer future updates.

What would kill me would be to get a screen that doesn't take advantage of the Studio Ultra GPU... never. Just because Protools is not.
Easier to pick the right replacement Mac than screen
Old 03-14-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmount View Post
I hear you guys about the curved thing
Also, @massivekerry, I guess you are talking about that 4K LG Screen

Do you think that the 3840x2160 resolution of that 32" screen is great for Protools ? I have seen many users reporting bad experience with 4k/5K that I was staying away from those...
I'm at 3440x1440. (My display is a few years old). Janne likes the horizontal space for faders. I do most of my work in the Edit window, or S1, so I value the other direction, where having the extra space for more tracks would be valuable. Depends on your workflow. I definitely hadn't considered it might be a thing, in advance.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro