Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Mbox family driver support for Mac OS Catalina

Misleading? Compatibility info is right here for anyone to review. It means if you wish to use current PT you need to have latest High Sierra (macOS) or later, or Windows 10 builds 1909/2004.
  • If you have interface that is not compatible with these systems, you need hew interface
  • If you have computer that is not compatible with these systems, you need new computer
  • If your choice is to keep your existing hardware and computer, you need to use that compatibility info to find out which PT software version you can use.

Simple as that. Buying a "lifetime license" for two decades old PT6 does not mean Avid should update drivers for latest and most current systems, even though that PT6 will keep running on your old system.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:19 AM

For what it is worth, Avid end of life dates here. Choose OS that was current at that time and your system is supported. Choose OS that has been released later, your system is not supported.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:19 AM

Again: 3 years support for a lifetime license sounds to me as a joke. It should be: lifetime license limited to 3 years support. I rest my case.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For what it is worth, Avid end of life dates here.
Final Sale Date. End of Support Date
Mbox (third generation) 8/30/2014 8/30/2019
Mbox Mini (third generation) 4/22/2013 4/22/2018
Mbox Pro (third generation) 3/1/2015 3/1/2020

"macOS Catalina (version 10.15) is the sixteenth major release of macOS, Apple Inc.'s desktop operating system for Macintosh computers. It is the successor to macOS Mojave and was announced at WWDC 2019 on June 3, 2019 and released to the public on October 7, 2019."

Mbox Mini (third generation) - works on Catalina - End of Support Date 4/22/2018
Mbox (third generation) - does not work in Catalina - End of Support Date 8/30/2019
Mbox Pro (third generation) - seems to work with tweaks on Catalina - End of Support Date 3/1/2020

Where is the logic and where should one believe in the support commitment?

I have a Lynx AES16 (almost 20 years old) with Microsoft 2020 certified Windows 10 drivers...

Last edited by rmrosa; 02-19-2021 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrosa View Post
FWhere is the logic and where should one believe in the support commitment?
Final word (as far as I am informed) regarding Mbox Family Drivers is right here. Do not shoot the messenger, give Avid Support a call if you think your system should be supported.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:11 AM

To be honest reading this thread has made me have little hope in Avid... Seems a few people in here might be working for them too...

Taking a read at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...d/Mbox-Drivers

it seems that they don't really care to offer much help at all...

Its 2021 and would take no time at all for them to give us a 64bit update...
It's a shame none of us here are really programmers or you could actually write a kext to support this...

I am saying hang in there guys and there might be something that pops up in the near future...

One thing to also suggest from that https://www.usb-audio.com/ link that was posted here as a work around for the older USB Mbox's
If you look into their page they state the following "macOS Big Sur 11 no longer loads kernel extensions, it's not possible for us to provide an update."

That means there is no current way and possibly no way in the future for them to operate the workarounds that they do...

It really seems like these problems we face are a combination of Apples plans and Avids plans for the future. It's just a shame that Avid can't warrant their customers enough to provide us with a fix to what really is a very simple issue. Windows can provide workability for 64bit and 32bit apps so there is no reason why Apple cannot... I might have to say goodbye to Apple now and also goodbye to Avid just like many others here seem to say!
Old 02-21-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrosa View Post
Misleading publicity in my view
very misleading indeed my brother!
Old 03-06-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaren View Post
very misleading indeed my brother!
so according to your comments your suggesting Apple, Avid-Digi etc are in the business of cheating the public or their customers?

I can see what you mean but at the same time its know that Avid-Digi only provided higher standard gear before finally making prosumer or mobile versions so to on the go type gear with their systems.

Maybe im been naive
Old 03-22-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystudios View Post
so according to your comments your suggesting Apple, Avid-Digi etc are in the business of cheating the public or their customers?

I can see what you mean but at the same time its know that Avid-Digi only provided higher standard gear before finally making prosumer or mobile versions so to on the go type gear with their systems.

Maybe im been naive
yeh I would actually say that personally yes... it's a combo between Mac and AVID doing this... it's funny Windows has no problems, but come across to the "industry standard" side and you will see what really goes down...

The coding behind OS compared to Windows is way simpler. They should easily be able to make their software and firmware from older models, versions run on the latest OS... Learn about computers and you will understand what I mean man... It's all about the $$$
Old 12-10-2021, 01:37 AM

Dear user_mates of Mbox 3. I share with all of you the frustration of incapability to use the audio interface Avid Mbox because they not allow anymore supports. I had recently the problem to use Mbox 3 with Mojave 10.14.6, but suddenly it starts to work again, is it a Christmas Miracle? I don't know! But I see the comments above that there is issue for the update from Catilina, so I concern about Mbox will still work if I will use in a new mac with last version of Os !!!????

Last edited by icamusic; 12-17-2021 at 12:24 AM.