How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Help! 45 second delay everytime I drag a .wav file in from Workspace

Running MAC OSX Snow Leopard and Pro Tools 8.0.5

Everytime I try to drag/drop a wav file from my library into the session through the Workspace browser, I get a spinning beach ball for 45 seconds before the wav loads on the track. Why is this taking so long?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Avid

Default Re: Help! 45 second delay everytime I drag a .wav file in from Workspace

Can you give us a bit more info to go on? See the Help Us Help You thread for details.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Help! 45 second delay everytime I drag a .wav file in from Workspace

Yes. I have a library of WAV files I usually like to drag in from teh workspace directly onto a Stereo or Mono Track I created depending on the way type. When I pull it in, I get a spinning beachball for 30-45 seconds before teh wav shows up, and I cant do anything else in Pro Tools, like its frozen. Ive tried disabling and enabling the Elastic Audio button (Polyphonic) and other things. This is reallllly slowing down my workflow.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 AM

bump
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Slow here as well although about 20 sec per drop.
with pro tools playing in background.
(Workable)
EA on or off is about the same.
Samples on separate sample drives.
PT 9.03 MP 12 core 12 gb, OS 10.6.7
Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Is there sample rate conversion going on here? That would explain some of the delay.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-08-2011, 03:03 PM

I had to turn off my internet when I had that problem (I only have internet on when I know I won't be using the workspace). You can't run anything other than PT. There was an article on this somewhere but I forget. Try turning off all internet access to see what happens.

Disk
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 AM

Guys,

This is a known problem and is extremely annoying. See this thread discussing it.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277616

The workaround appears to be to buy a third party software (currently trying out Little Snitch that someone over there recommended) to block certain network accesses, but DTS is being slightly disingenuous by asking for more info. We've discusssed this endlessly and it's clearly related to network activity. Usually connected to those two "virtual" disks that show up in the workspace browser called 'Net' and 'Home'.

My feeling is that this could and should be remedied by Avid, but I appreciate that it's just one of many, many things that need attention and it will get fixed one day. I love PT and it's such a huge program, so I'd hate to rag on the busy boys and girls who I'm sure work hard to keep the show on the road, but waiting over a minute (that's how long it takes here) every time I want to drop a file into the edit window, is a SERIOUS vibe killer.

Sigh, put it on the list!

Hope all are well.

Cheers

Steve Bush
http://music180.com/pros/5887
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 AM

PS,

I'm still on PT8.1.1 although I have bought a copy of PT9. I was kinda hoping this had been fixed in 9, but obviously not.

Damn it.

SB
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM

While this isn't a fix, now is a great time to advertise Soundminer. Most Soundminer users never need to use the Workspace at all. Once you see Soundminer in action, spotting files into the Pro Tools timeline, you won't go back:

http://store.soundminer.com/