Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Can I convert s/pdif to BNC word clock?

Quote:
...I did see one other option a SPDIF to BNC cable.....

http://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerc...oducts_id=1666

...don't know if this is any good though.
I emailed Black Lion about this, and got this reply:

"Unfortunately a SPDIF output is significantly lower than a WC BNC output, and therefore that scenario would not work.

Cheers,
Nate
Black Lion Audio"
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...I did see one other option a SPDIF to BNC cable.....

http://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerc...oducts_id=1666

...don't know if this is any good though.
I emailed Black Lion about this, and got this reply:

"Unfortunately a SPDIF output is significantly lower than a WC BNC output, and therefore that scenario would not work.

Cheers,
Nate
Black Lion Audio"

Well...I ordered one just for kicks and should have it in a couple of days....I'm curious to see myself if it works or not.

- KB
Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 AM

I have a Focusrite Octopre with an ADAT card which is connected to my Digi002 via ADAT. Originally or as standard the Octopre do not come with an ADAT card it is an expansion.
My Original Idea was to replace my Digi002 with the new C24, however I have discover that is not an option as it is just a controller which means I still have to have my Digi002 with NO real C24’s feature gain or even an expansion or any of the C24’s features as the limitation is the Digi002 as I would still have to connect to the Digi002 to use as Pro Tools still need to see a hardware unit so to speak which need to be connect for this to work which is a foolish option with NO again. My main reasons for wanting to upgrade to the New C24 is the limitation with exist in my Digi002 with the ADAT only supporting up to 48 KHz (ADAT). I some times wonder why these engineers seem to exclude common sense and or logic when deigning these hardware units. Or it this deliberate in terms of not bridging the gap between HD and LE.

Digi one day you will be forced to wake up and smell the roses, so to speak. With Yamaha owning Steinberg now a hardware software option will emanate simpler to Digi’s magic, which makes Digi’s sound so good (Software Hardware combination), will happen sooner than later, which will bring Yamaha up to HD and LE level. My main reason why I am a Pro Tools man is simply the sound, the end result of Pro Tools is still much better than the others, hence me eating up Gigi’s nonsense. Once Yamaha is coming to age, that just might be too late for Digi to do something about it.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Would be so kind and let me know to if it works, I would then get an cable for me too.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Would be so kind and let me know to if it works, I would then get an cable for me too.
Nope..doesn't work...as was mentioned before...not a strong enough signal. I'm using an external clock with the 002R, luckly this is not a problem as I can S/PDIF the two together.

- KB
Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm in the same situation as Guy.fi, with a BLA 002 into which I want to feed the ADAT signal from an external octo preamp (Midas or Audient) BUT with the 002 clock as master.
So could I use my cute little Ego SYStem Dr. D Universal Signal Converter to turn the ADAT output of the 002 into AES/EBU, and then physically convert that signal into BNC (I've seen adapters), and to the clock input of the preamp ?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mups View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm in the same situation as Guy.fi, with a BLA 002 into which I want to feed the ADAT signal from an external octo preamp (Midas or Audient) BUT with the 002 clock as master.
So could I use my cute little Ego SYStem Dr. D Universal Signal Converter to turn the ADAT output of the 002 into AES/EBU, and then physically convert that signal into BNC (I've seen adapters), and to the clock input of the preamp ?
You are kind of stuck on this. Your best solution(that I can think of) would be to use an external device that has lightpipe out, AND in, so you can set the external device to sync to the lightpipe FROM the 002. The Midas is out. Not sure on the Audient. The Focusrite OctoPre Mk II DYNAMIC has both(I own and use both this and the Midas in my rig). The Berhinger ADA8200 is another option that has lightpipe in both directions(and before you scoff at anything from Behringer, its a long way from the old days). Having used several X32's and Midas M32's over the last 3 years, the quality has taken a giant step up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I thought of that, but it's funny how the octo-preamp's that have ADAT in (Antelope, RME) are twice as expensive as the ones that' don't (Audient, Midas)...
Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mups View Post
Yeah, I thought of that, but it's funny how the octo-preamp's that have ADAT in (Antelope, RME) are twice as expensive as the ones that' don't (Audient, Midas)...
Hence my including the Behringer ADA8200. Its a solid unit at a silly-good price(and, Black Lion has a mod for it if you want to improve it later on). I'd wager the Behringer sounds on par with the 002

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-04-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hence my including the Behringer ADA8200. Its a solid unit at a silly-good price(and, Black Lion has a mod for it if you want to improve it later on). I'd wager the Behringer sounds on par with the 002
I'm sooooo picky... But since the 002 doesn't have pads and more than one I ran into trouble on drums because of that, I kinda want the octo preamp to have them.
Of course, I could just get a few XLR ones...