Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Suddenly my external drive won\'t open PT sessions

Hi. I recently moved, so it's been over a month since I've used my external drive with all my sessions on it. Just a minute ago, I opened it up and plugged it in, hoping to work on some sessions. But when I went to open one, I got this message:

"This session is saved on a volume set to "Transfer" only. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "P" (Playback) or "R" (record) in the Workspace. Otherwise, chook OK to save a copy of this session and its media to a valid playback volume. The session copy will automatically open from the chosen location."

Ok, fair enough. I don't know why it's doing that, or even what it really means, since I've played back and recorded on my external since I got it, and I've never changed any settings. So I go to Workspace, and find the letters it's talking about, and try to change it to P or R...except then I get this message:

"LaCie Disk" cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio volume."

What the hey? Not valid? I've been using this thing to record on for almost 2 years. What changed? Why is it suddenly not able to use for recording or playback?

How do I fix this?

It's a LaCie mini drive, 160GB, made to be compatible with my Mac Mini. I'm using PT LE 7.0
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Suddenly my external drive won\'t open PT sessions

try trashing databases and prefs and fixing permissions on the disk using the disk utiliy.
had this same problem and this fixed it.

www.syrland.is
www.sturluson-music.com
Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM

I apologize for not really knowing, but where do I find databases, and how do I trash prefs?

Worryingly, I went to repair the disk permission on the LaCie on it told me there was an error, that it Could not unmount disk.

edit: actually, more accurately, when I went to Disk Utility, the options were Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions, Verify Disk, and Repair Disk. The first two were grayed out on the LaCie drive, so I tried using Repair Disk, where I got the error. On my native hard drive, all four options are available.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 AM

Trash preferences:
Mac Hard Drive-Users-users file folder-library-preferences
Drag all to the trash........com.digidiesign.protools.plist, DAE preferences, Digi setup.OSX and all other PT preference files.

For all mounted hard drives trash all Volume.ddb files
Mac HD(or the HD with the OSX installed)
Digidesign Databases-Volume.ddb

Trash Database Folders:
Mac HD-Library-Apps support-Digidesign-databases......trash volumes folder

Empty trash
Restart

Repairing permissions:
Mac HD-Apps-Utilities-Launch disk utility.
Make sure drives are formatted to HFS or HFS+
Click first aid tab
Select repair permissions.
Do this for all volumes.
Restart
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt 2X6