Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Attention Avid Audio: Where do I send the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Yes, and have you done the 50 billion other things too required by us end users just to get this ancient code "working?" Cuz if you haven't done all 50 billion of them, you're a BLOOMIN' IDIOT!

There may be a lot of other things to do in PT, but as far as white noise is concerned, CS2 is directly in response to just that. It is important to upgrade, and if any one is using CS2 and using a non fragmented external non USB hard drive to record to, and still getting it, then that's important to know.
Edit: Or of course, a internal HDD. And that they are 7200RPM's. (Yeah so the list is long)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
There may be a lot of other things to do in PT, but as far as white noise is concerned, CS2 is directly in response to just that. It is important to upgrade, and if any one is using CS2 and using a non fragmented external non USB hard drive to record to, and still getting it, then that's important to know.
Edit: Or of course, a internal HDD. And that they are 7200RPM's. (Yeah so the list is long)
I don't think the list is long at all... not as far as professionals using professional software professionally.

Sure, Pro Tools might work ok all on a 5400 system drive or through a USB drive, especially if all you are doing is recording a few VOs or guitar licks. Same with plenty of other DAWs. But at the same time... I guarantee with any other DAW, you're going to want a similar configuration to what Pro Tools calls a "minimum requirement." This is why I don't argue with them. Of course the minimum requirements are steep. We're not playing World of Warcraft here, we're recording dozens of tracks with dozens of CPU sucking plugins, and loading external sounds into other plugins all at the same time... how can one piddly little laptop drive be expected to handle all of that?

Use correct versions, use correct hardware, and submit errors to Avid (instead of whining about them here) and Pro Tools will be your best friend rather than some people's worst nightmare.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I don't think the list is long at all... not as far as professionals using professional software professionally.
Personally, I definitely agree with this. I came to Pro Tools with the expectation of needing to work with it, to get it to work for me. Maybe that's why I don't complain about it. I have these problems using my landscaping software as well. It's 800 dollars and finicky as hell. But professional software is designed for the professional, not for the plug and play crowd.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Totally agree here as well. We're meant to be audio ENGINEERS remember! By definition this should make us problem solvers. Finely tuning any system is needed in audio as far as im concerned.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Avid

In case anyone has missed it (apparently some of you have), the CS2 update addresses this issue. You can get links to that update here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=270688
Closed Thread