Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Unable to open sessions on firewire drive

Hello.

I had a client bring in about 20 ProTools 5.3 sessions on a firewire drive. At first all of the session files appeared as a black rectangle in OSX, instead of the usual "tape reel" icon. I dragged the sessions to another firewire drive and five of them now appeared normal and could be opened OK. The others were still black rectangles that couldn't be opened in OSX. When I tried to "choose application", ProTools was greyed out and could not be selected.

What is causing this?

Thanks!

Ellis Burman

www.burmansound.com
Old 12-13-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Unable to open sessions on firewire drive

the drive was not formatted properly. Probably as a MS-DOS disk, look at the "get info" and see what it says. I encountered this and was unable to resolve it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 PM

I think you are right. I attached another FW drive and initialized it in OSX, and dragged all the sessions to it, but only 5 were readable. Why would some be readable and others not?

Thanks

Ellis
Old 03-19-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the response. I will pass the info to my client. You guys rule!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:40 PM

Ok, just ran into this, and found out some interesting stuff. It IS absolutely related to the drive format. I'm positive your drive will say msdos format or something of that sort. Now, if you copy the files and highlight the session file, then append the.pts extension to it, it should open!! Now, That worked everytime, however, the last time, the audio files also had no extension, and I didn't feel like appending.wav to 119 files!! Even though the session opened, it said it couldn't find the audio files for this very reason. So I had the guy copy them to a drive he borrowed from me that was properly formatted (HFS+). Anyway, it would be cool for someone to write a script to append these extensions for just these types of situations. Then again, it also would've been cool for APPLE to find a way to deal with this at the FAT level!! What a pain in the !#@%#!!

P.S. if you're out there and you know who you are, PLEASE upgrade to HD, OSX, and PT 6.X and save us all the hassle!!!