Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Can I re-amp a DI track from within PT using a TonePort UX1?

Hey guys...tried this out the other day with no luck so I thought I'd post here to see if there were any other opinions...

A few weeks ago I recorded a dry guitar sound to a mono track and processed it using AmpliTube. I'd like to mess around with the tone so I thought that I if I routed it through my Toneport UX1 I should still be able to re-amp it. Here is my setup:

- Mac G4 being used as the slave to run GearBox and TonePort Hardware via USB
- Left Output of TonePort into Mic Pre #1 of Digi 002R
- Digi 002R connected via Firewire to QuadZilla(R) Studio computer
- Studio monitors connected to Analog 1-2 of 002R

So here's what I did.

- In PT, set the output of the clean DI track to Analog 5 of the 002R.
- connected Analog 5 via guitar cable to input of TonePort UX1
- In PT, created new Audio track with the input as Digi 002R Mic Pre #1 and output as either the stereo bus for all my guitars (in my case Bus 21-22) or Analog 1-2

When I start playback, nothing happens...I figured at the bare minimum I should see movement on the VU meters within gearbox on my Mac...I admit the day I set this up it was quite hurried, but just from the signal path alone it seems plausible that I should be able to do this...

When I stop playback, however, it seems that I can hear the very faint trails of the delay that I have on my guitar bus...quite strange...

Any and all help is appreciated...

Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Can I re-amp a DI track from within PT using a TonePort UX1?

the reason it does not work is because of the impedance differences between a instrument output (pod input) and the line level i/o (digi 003 analog out). to do that you would need an impedance changing device. typically the radial x amp or the reamp. it will accept a line level input and change it to an instrument level output.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Can I re-amp a DI track from within PT using a TonePort

Have you tried running from the 002 into one of the line inputs on the UX1? If you aren't seeing a signal that way, check that the 002 output is working. You can do this by running from the 002 output into a line input and seeing if there's level on the meter there. What you're describing should work. Try again when you have time and let us know if you get it working.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM

I will likely try again this weekend when I have more time...hopefully something will work out, otherwise I'll have to get a re-amp box.

Thanks again...
Jeff
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Have you tried running from the 002 into one of the line inputs on the UX1? If you aren't seeing a signal that way, check that the 002 output is working. You can do this by running from the 002 output into a line input and seeing if there's level on the meter there. What you're describing should work. Try again when you have time and let us know if you get it working.
Just as an update, I decided to reconnect everything as described in my original post and I found that my mistake was that in GearBox, I forgot to switch the input from 'Instrument' to 'Line'. Upon doing this, I instantly realized that the +4 dBv output from the 002R might be a little hot, so I think I'll be in the market for a +4 to -10 dBv converter. It appears that Peavey makes one, but does anyone know of any other brands. I would be looking for one that that has In/Out with TRS jacks both ways, so I'm not having to make up 1/4" to XLR cables...

Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Upon doing this, I instantly realized that the +4 dBv output from the 002R might be a little hot, so I think I'll be in the market for a +4 to -10 dBv converter.
Or just turn your output down to an appropriate level.