Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 06-03-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Avid (pro tools) Apogee Duet for PC and PT 12 (perpetual).

Hi. In 2017, I bought Pro Tools 12 and it came bundled with the Avid Apogee (pro tools) Duet for PC. After 5 years, the Duet has started to have issues. Does anyone know if I can change this interface for another one, say the SSL2+ or Motu M2 ?? I just have a horrid distant memory that this perpetual PT12 only works with the Apogee Duet. I hope I'm wrong because the Apogee costs loads more than the SSL or Motu despite being slightly higher spec. Thanks. Ian.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Avid (pro tools) Apogee Duet for PC and PT 12 (perpetual).

Hi. Welcome.
Shure you'll be able to use any other interface with PT12, as long as it's supported with a driver for your OS/PT version.
But, please give us full info on your setup, so we can help you better.
Help Us Help You
Old 06-04-2022, 01:37 AM

Hi Ben. Thanks for your help. The Apogee Duet has an interference problem when sound is sent to the Amp. No problem on Recording inputs or the recording itself, so must be a signal output issue from the Duet but the 'headphone out' on the Duet is fine. I presume a separate circuit. It may even be the breakout cable at fault. Those are £60 and it might not be that anyway.
So...
I now have the choice of either 1) Sending the Duet 'phones out' to the amp at low level 2) Having this one looked at by Apogee or 3) buying a new cheaper interface, i.e SSL 2 or Motu 2. What do you think ? Thanks. Ian.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:44 AM

I'd try to see if it's the breakout cable and if so replace it... that is an awful design relying on a cable like that.

But whatever the problems is you have a ongoing Windows device driver support issue looming with the Apogee. It was a badly done short lived OEM deal by Avid. So while for now I'd replace a breakout cable I'd also start looking at future options for a new interface.

There are many many great interfaces out there from UAD, RME, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, Apogee (with limited Windows support), etc.

The SSL2 and Motu 2 are pretty low end models, great if that's all you need, but are you sure they are sufficient? You don't need fancier low latency hardware mixing capabilities? separate headphones out? more I/O?, monitor controller capability?, S/PDIF or ADAT IO etc. etc? The preamps in some of these cheaper interfaces may not be as good/quiet as those in the Apogee. I have not used them all to know, but I've alway been impressed by Apogee preamps. Maybe focus short term on seeing if the break out cable is the issue (check it carefully with a multimeter?) but longer term maybe spend time looking at other options/maybe considering if you want to go more upmarket not down?
Old 06-04-2022, 03:19 AM

Hi Darryl. Thanks for your help. I could keep using the Apogee Duet if I could use the headphone out at low level to the amp but I'm worried about colouring the sound / frequencies. Can't upgrade really due to finances. £60 for the cable alone is pretty harsh. Ian.

Last edited by Ian Squire; 06-04-2022 at 03:24 AM. Reason: thanks.