Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Yosemite and PT10

GOT IT! Okay, the installer doesn't work because it's a crappy version controller. What to do to reinstall or update PT 10 on Yosemite. Go in Finder to "System --> Library --> Coreservices --> SystemVersion.plist. Make 2 copy's (keep always a back up file) one on your desktop and one for back up (place this in a directory or something). Now open on your desktop the plist with "teksteditor" and change ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.9. Save the file and copy paste this into the CoreService directory. No it's a text file, no problem. Now install or update PT 10, restart and voilà...it works! To finish it up, go to the directory with your back up plist and place this plist in CoreServices. Overwrite the file and all is original again (the system version). Good luck!!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Yosemite and PT10

Restart after all this one more time!! Make always a back up of the original plist. Your system needs this file to function!!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Yosemite and PT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStolk View Post
GOT IT! Okay, the installer doesn't work because it's a crappy version controller. What to do to reinstall or update PT 10 on Yosemite. Go in Finder to "System --> Library --> Coreservices --> SystemVersion.plist. Make 2 copy's (keep always a back up file) one on your desktop and one for back up (place this in a directory or something). Now open on your desktop the plist with "teksteditor" and change ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.9. Save the file and copy paste this into the CoreService directory. No it's a text file, no problem. Now install or update PT 10, restart and voilà...it works! To finish it up, go to the directory with your back up plist and place this plist in CoreServices. Overwrite the file and all is original again (the system version). Good luck!!
Typo: "TextEdit" (but maybe it was put there as a test, if you did not get that you should not be editing plist files )
Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What to do to reinstall or update PT 10 on Yosemite
or not try playing with unsupported configurations, it's called Holding Fast

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 PM

I got a message of the missing file, so I putted it back as text file, the warning was gone I'm not a programmer haha! What I just did was find out how to spoof the version OSX to fool Pro Tools version check. (btw...plist-editor was run out of demo period, so that's why I tried teksteditor, just see what happens)
Old 10-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
Hi

I have Yosemite on my mac book and wanted to install pro-tools onto it to test but it won't let me. The installer says that I need Mac OS 10.7.4 and higher! (Which of course Yosemite is). Is there anyway round this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's odd.

I'm afraid I couldn't offer any assistance -- I upgraded to Yosemite w/ ProTools already installed.
I would guess the installer just believes OS 10.1x is less than 10.7 so it won't install.
I can verify that if you already have protools installed it works just fine (as far as I can tell)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlongo View Post
I would guess the installer just believes OS 10.1x is less than 10.7 so it won't install.
I can verify that if you already have protools installed it works just fine (as far as I can tell)
It is not running fine here. The Inserts and Sends do not show the text on the drop down menus. You have to slowly mouse over them before they appear. It will work but just slow and difficult to select when you can't see them. Others have reported the same behavior.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-19-2014, 01:32 PM

I have that same problem. It is the only app I have installed which has this drawing issue after the upgrade.

Yosemite has been in beta for a long time, so I don't understand this.

Other than the drawing issue, Protools works as expected. The menu bar menus don't have this problem.

Anyone figured out a work-around, or do we need to wait for Apple or Avid to fix it?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Installed the Protools 11 demo, and that doesn't have the video issue.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageControl View Post
I have that same problem. It is the only app I have installed which has this drawing issue after the upgrade.

Yosemite has been in beta for a long time, so I don't understand this.

Other than the drawing issue, Protools works as expected. The menu bar menus don't have this problem.

Anyone figured out a work-around, or do we need to wait for Apple or Avid to fix it?
Avid has pretty much abandoned Protools 10 after Mountain Lion so I would not expect (although I hope) that they would put any effort into fixing this issue. What a shame, because Protools 10 was a fine and stable version that works with the older RTAS/DPM plug-ins.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1