Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Muting channel when punching in?

Is there any function on any of the HD Pro Tools versions that would mute the output of a track the moment you punch in on it? For a vocal session I would like to monitor the vocal pre-converter which I could do with a little analog submixer combining the output of the preamp and the stereo mix output from Protools The mic would always be live, the singer sings along and I punch. But at that point the singer hears both herself and the recording track coming out of Protools--a comb-filtering nightmare.

I guess I could hit Mute when I hit Punch, but wouldn't it be great if this could happen automatically?

-R
Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Muting channel when punching in?

Jus highlight the section, break it & Cmd+M (or is it opt+M) on the track u need gone @ that spot...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 PM

I've been asking for this forever but people don't generally seem to understand what I mean.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM

You don't mean mute for playback, you mean mute while a person is recording live?
If so--the only way to do that is to mute the track. You can automate the mute and draw it in so it automatically mutes at that point in the song so you dont have to keep un-muting and muting again...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't want to have to do that. That's what software is for. Bob, I'm glad you understand me, because I've been having a hard time explaining this and getting any traction on it.

I just did a test for myself, singing into my Flea 47, monitoring on headphones and comparing it being sent through the PTHD ADDA versus going directly to the headphone amp. Going through Protools made the mic's high end scratchy, sibilant, strident etc.--the comb filtering caused by the latency is readily apparent. Going straight to the amp the mic sounds exactly like it should--smooth, integrated, alluring.

People should try this comparison for themselves.

-R
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Jus highlight the section, break it & Cmd+M (or is it opt+M) on the track u need gone @ that spot...
No that's not the problem. The problem is that when I hit record the singer will be hearing herself from the direct feed to the analog mixer, AND she'll be also hearing herself going through the PT converters on the track being recorded, fed out to the mixer in the PT stereo mix, but about 2 1/2 ms later.

This sounds terrible and defeats the whole point of trying to do latency free punching.

-R
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 PM

I guess I'm not totally understanding (not sayin u hav to explain) I'm jus not gettin it...

Jus meaning or tryin to get why the need for monitoring pre-converter? (I keep asking questions even after sayin u don't hav to explain )

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM

can't you just give the singer their headphone feed from protools, post converter?

This way they are in time with the music too, it seems to me they would be late if they hear the music post converted (has to be) and themselves pre converter.

Just sayin'.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 PM

The latency isn't really enough to be much of a timing factor. The problem is that the singer hears her voice in 2 ways: through her head and from hear earphones. If the headphone send is delayed, as it is if you're monitoring through Protools, then the singer hears comb filtering caused by the 2 differently timed signals. It's not a huge deal, but it's enough to change the timbre of the mic for the singer and could result in a less satisfactory performance.

Honestly, I just compared direct versus through-PT for myself and was astonished at the difference. I think it may explain why I sometimes get boomy vocals recording myself. The comb filtering in the cans makes the high end sound more strident and edgy-bright, so I would work in closer on the mic to get some proximity effect to balance. Then I'd listen back and wonder why the recorded track sounded so dull or boomy. So now, if I monitor without the latency when I record, it will come back sounding how I expect it to.

YMMV, but I think it's worth checking it out for yourself to see if it makes a difference.

-R
Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM

there are thousands of us that are monitoring thru PT all day with issues of latency so I'm not sure of that reference u made...

I'm not tryin to start anything, again I don't get why go thru so much trouble...

I kno every1 has their own way of doing things tho so I guess if it works.......

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY