Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Sharing files between Mac and PC

I tried for hours with DAVE with no luck!
OS 9.2.2 on Mac, Windows XP on the PC

Help.Thanks!

P.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Sharing files between Mac and PC

Did you save the session with Mac/PC compatibility enabled.. and make sure the audio files are AIFF or BWF?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM

You cannot run sessions across a network if that's what you're trying to do. You must do a save session copy in, and save to the other computers audio drive.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:12 AM

Thanks,
However, what I wonted to do is more basic. I am just not able to make the 2 computers communicate with each other. I've got got help from DAVE, but still...
I thought you may be able o tell me what to do "step by step" on both machines.
I may ask for to much, I know. Thank-you in advance, anyway. P.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 AM

the easiest way to transfer files between mac & pc is obviously burning the files to dvd on the mac side.

if that's not an option, then connect the pc and mac into same network (same ip address range, same subnet, same gateway), share a folder on the xp side, and then connect to server on the mac side. if you have trouble finding your pc on the list, just try entering "smb://windowsmachinename" into the dialog box, where the windowsmachinename is the one that shows in network neighborhood on the xp. it should then ask you to authenticate yourself, and given you entered correct information, you should then be able to select which share you want to connect to.

by the way, xp stands for "eXtra Pain"
Old 02-22-2004, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I feel better now...
I'll try some more. I heard about MacDrive5, a PC program that maybe a better solution, though.
Yes, right now, I am burnning CDRW with files PC-Mac. But, it's not the best solution, just some work-around, I guess. I use Timbuktu between my 2 Macs, so I just want a similar solution for the PC...
Thank you all for answering!P.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks,
However, what I wonted to do is more basic. I am just not able to make the 2 computers communicate with each other. I've got got help from DAVE, but still...
I thought you may be able o tell me what to do "step by step" on both machines.
I may ask for to much, I know. Thank-you in advance, anyway. P.
Follow the instructions for setting up Dave step by step.
Contact Thursby for support on Dave. Have you checked their website for suppot?
Are you using the proper ethernet cable? Peer to peer requires a cat-5 CROSSOVER cable, whereas if you're conencting via a hub or router youwant a standard cat-5 cable.
Do you know for certain the cable and the PC's NIC card work?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:25 AM

this is a sticky situation. You're not giving us any info about your network setup, what protocols you have turned on within your XP server, what protocols you have disabled within XP... What IP addresses you are using, what your NetBIOS settings are, What your TCPIP settings are, etc... And remember, you're talking to a bunch of Protools uses, not network admins. Although you never know, there might be a network admin lurking around here somehwere that can lend a helping hand.

Here is my experience with Dave. I have 5 copies of it and connect five of the macs in our studios to our office's Win2000 servers. Installing and running Dave on OSX was easy. Installing and running on OS9 was a pain in the butt. You should MANUALLY setup your TCPIP settings even though OS9 is supposed to automatically detect them from the host server using DHCP. It has never worked for me in OS 9. Once I setup the TCPIP settings manually Dave works and I can see the entire network and share folders. Also, in OS9...after you install and setup I've noticed that sometimes it takes a reboot in order for Dave to start working.

Even after setting up Dave in OS9 I still get NetBIOS errors everytime I start the mac up...but it works fine regardless of the errors (weird, huh?).

OSX on the other hand was a breeze. I've installed Dave on a couple OSX machines it works great. If you can, upgrade to OSX. If not, try going through everything with tech support and make sure your WINDOWS server is setup correctly! That will probably cause you more problems than anything else.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 02-23-2004, 11:31 AM

Quote:
the easiest way to transfer files between mac & pc is obviously burning the files to dvd on the mac side.

if that's not an option, then connect the pc and mac into same network (same ip address range, same subnet, same gateway), share a folder on the xp side, and then connect to server on the mac side. if you have trouble finding your pc on the list, just try entering "smb://windowsmachinename" into the dialog box, where the windowsmachinename is the one that shows in network neighborhood on the xp. it should then ask you to authenticate yourself, and given you entered correct information, you should then be able to select which share you want to connect to.

smb protocol only works in OSX. I've tried it in OS 9 and it didn't work. I think smb was added with OSX. And I believe the Dave client uses the cifs protocol.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 02-23-2004, 02:29 PM

I run Dave on OS9, but I don't need to on OSX. OSX will network to XP jsut fine natively. Unless there are some features I'm unaware of that Dave for OSX gives you, I don't see the need.

Both systems speak the same language, I mean protocol....TCP/IP.

I just type in //IP.ADDRESS of the OSX machine in the XP exlorer window authenticate and BAMM I'm viewing my user on OSX.