Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-17-2004, 01:21 PM

Default HELP! -9136 Errors on a Mbox / Powerbook 1,5 Mhz

Hi!

I have some serious trouble with my new mobile setup...

Problem:
-------------
Due sudden CPU clippings that don't seem to make sense I get constantly -9136 Errors on my Mbox / Powerbook, which interrupt my recordings. I can't find any reason for it.

System:
------------
- Mbox
- ProTools LE 6.4
- Powerbook 1,5
- 1 GB DDR RAM
- OS X 10.3.4 / 10.3.6

Details:
-----------
Even when I'm recording just one track in an empty song without any plugins I get CPU clippings / -9136 errors. The System Usage Window shows a very low CPU and disk load, but the CPU overload indicator turns regularily red after a few seconds or sometimes minutes. The sudden overloads are so fast, that the main display doesn't even jump up - just the overload-indicator turns red and the recording stops with the -9136 Error message. It doesn't matter if I'm recording or not - the clippings would appear anyway. Playing around with the DAE Playback Buffer / CPU Usage Limit / and H/W Buffer Size has no effect.

I followed all Digidesign recommendations for the OSX energy saving preferences (I switched out any energy saver and switched the processor performance to "maximum").

Disk-Journaling is switched off. It doesn't matter if I record on a seperate firewire drive or the system disk, as well. I upgraded to OSX 10.3.6 (I know, it's not certified, yet) hoping for a change... but it's still the same...

However, Logic Audio is running fine with the same Mbox... Well, not quite what I was looking for...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: HELP! -9136 Errors on a Mbox / Powerbook 1,5 Mhz

Same here!

System:
------------
- Mbox
- ProTools LE 6.4
- Powerbook 1.33
- 768 MB DDR RAM (both memory modules thoroughly tested)
- OS X 10.3.4 / 10.3.6

I'm thinking we're stuck til Digi certifies 10.3.6.

I just bought mine to have for on location recording of my band. Fortunately I've got a 001 set up on my G4 tower thats solid as a rock. However that does me no good at the venue.

I realize the OS I'm running hasn't been blessed yet. . . . a mere indication that it will be soon would be so nice. . . .

MDSongwriter, keep bumping the thread.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:44 PM

Hi Dan!

Do you think it's an OS problem? Since the Mbox is running fine with LOGIC AUDIO it seems (to me) to be a ProTools 6.4 LE + Mbox problem. I ran a Digi 002 Rack / PT 6.4 on the same(!) Powerbook that I'm using with the Mbox with no problems. I lent the 002 to somebody I work with and hoped to purchase an equal solid system with a Mbox (also for on location recordings)...

I'm also running a solid HD3 / PT 6.7 system on a G4 Powermac. I hope it wouldn't be better to invest into a filghtcase for the TDM system instead into a Mbox...

Maybe we should try PT 6.7?!... But this could lead into new problems, since it's a pretty fresh... Probably anybody has experiences with PT 6.7 and -9136 errors?!

Yes, let's keep bumping...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:50 PM

Hi MD.

What I mean is . . . it doesn't look as though DIGI said 10.3.6 was compatible with PTLE6.4. The compatibility page I read for 6.4 and MBox was warning that 10.3.5 wasn't compatible, so 'nuff said regarding X.3.6

I will have to read further. . . it could be it we need to upgrade to PTLE6.7, OR possibly to OSX.3.7 (I noticed that X.3.7 is available).

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

I will keep up informing you of my thoughts and ideas.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:01 PM

If you do a search on the LE forum - you'll find that this is a very common issue, especially on Mac laptops with mBoxes. I've seen it on over a dozen machines - all with clean installs, and correct setups. It has been occuring at least since ( from memory) 10.2, and PT LE 6.1. This problem has managed to transcend different PT revisions, and different OSX versions. I have only ever seen it occur with mBoxes - not with any other digi hardware. You'll find if you plug in a 002, that CPU spiking will not occur. No one has to date, posted a solution, or reason for this syndrome ( to my knowledge ). You can try all of the Troubleshoooting and Setup recommendations on Digi's website, but unfortunately, they have not fixed one instance of this problem for the systems I have seen.

F.Y.I

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 PM

This is a sticky problem with powerbooks and Mboxes. I was pulling my hair out with this mostly in PTLE 6.2. Since then, I've done full 32 track mixes without a problem as well as getting the dreaded -9136 with a minimal system load. I'm running a Tibook 667 with 512 meg of ram so everyone chalks it up to the CPU not being fast enough, but it's so inconsistent i feel something else is at work. Here's what I've done to minimize the damage;

1- Trash all digi prefs and database folders
2- Use a high quality USB-2 cable for the mbox
3- playback buffer set to 1024
4- DAE set to 2
5- Use at least a 7200 rpm Firewire HD that has a good Oxford 911 bridge (there are enough small differences in bridge boards from different manufacturers that I thought I would mention it, plus I'm speaking from personal experience) I've had good results from the OWC case with fast drives installed in them.
6- Record/Playback at 24bit/44.1K

I still get -9136 errors from time to time but usually with a marginally heavy system load, not at the drop of a dime like with 6.2. FWIW, Logic Pro does not run well with the Mbox either when mixing external midi instruments with the built in ones. Since the minimum buffer size w/the mbox is 512, i've run into midi timing problems due to playback latency. Pretty much unusable for me so I use the mac's built in audio for sequencing midi (VI's and external units) in logic.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:23 AM

So this is a known issue thats been on Digi's message board here for several versions and they still haven't addressed it?!?!?!?!?? So I'm out my 500 dollars and unable to use the Mbox I bought form them in my live rig (what I bought it for!!!!!).

I may justr return the damn thing then. I fought through these sots of issues with the 001 and its FINALLY after lots of grief working, but it took a while. I DO NOT want to go through that again and pay 500 to beta test a companies product!

Before I return, I will call Digi and see what they say. . . . but I've been there done that before and doubt they'll be able to do anything besides recommend I turn off journaling or something else that already listed on the GD manual!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I'm so frickin sick of being sold something that doesn't work in regards to technology!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:21 AM

I'm curious, are there people with Powerbook/Mbox setups that actually work?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:25 PM

I have a powerbook 1.5 and was able to use 10.3.4 with PTLE 6.4 pretty well for a while. I was even running session from the internal system drive...

Then I upgraded to 6.7 and now I can't even open a session for longer than 30 seconds without crashing all of protools... anybody else trying mbox with 6.7?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Hi Bassntreble!

Thanks for your tips! I followed your advices and had no further problems.

However, I'd like to be able to record with some plugin reverb as well. Maximum latency can't be the final solution...

In between I upgraded to 6.7 and installed the latest cs4 update. Same problem again. I went to my dealer - no result. This is really frustrating and way too unreliable for professional purposes.

I'm going to call Digi. If there's no solution within a couple of days I sell the MBox and buy a flightcase for th HD system with the money... it won't have CPU overloads :-(

OSX went through many updates and this is a big task for developers, sure. But basic stuff shoud just run - no excuse. Even more if a company wants to be marketleader. I love my HD system and I had never problems with my 002 rck. If the Mbox doesn't run DIGI's starter product might better be the 002 rack?!

I let you guys know what DIGI is going to tell me on the phone...

Marc