Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Hearing firewire drives over my monitors!?!?!

I'm running a G4 dual processor 533, with a gig of memory, and the 001. I'm running PTLE V6.x. . ..

I was monitoring via the spdif out to powered roland monitors.

I recently started monitoring over the analog Main Out, and now I'm hearing my firewire drives.

I haven't noticed this before, and I've been using this sytem for over two years.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas ?

I do use an ETA power conditioner, and everything is plugged into that. . .

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Hearing firewire drives over my monitors!?!?!

I've been having this problem, too:
G4 Powerbook, 768 memory, Seagate firewire drive on the RAck 002. I've physically distanced my drive from the rest of the setup with some benefit.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:15 PM

mr dude,

Do you mean you get this over your mics when you record ? (I may be misunderstanding you)

I can hear these drives over the monitors even when the computer itself is powered down.

I'm still trying things, I've disconnected the 001 and am going SPDIF out from the optical ADAT (with it set to spdif) from the PCI card. I can't hear the drives at all now. .. .

I'd like to be able to monitor with the analog outs as well, while using firewire drives (I should add).

Still experimenting, but I'm all ears DUC .. .

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 PM

No, not through mics. I just sometimes getting the whirring sounds of the hard drive going to the monitors. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the cables I'm using are not shielded well.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:09 PM

Mr Dude,

I disconnected and reconnected EVERYTHING connected to my 001. I think my 001 cable (the SCSI looking cable) was not seated properly. Once I redid all my connections everything went back to normal, AND I could use my analog main outs to monitor with, without the noise of the firewire drives. . .

FYI.

Thanks!!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:42 PM

I had the same problem and it was very much more pronounced with my maxtor fw drive than my other two brands. The problem seems to come from a power issue. My home is old and has no proper ground. When I take the whole system (it's built into a custom cart) to other localities with clean, grounded power, the hum goes away and it's perfectly quiet.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:09 AM

Hi I am using the Dididesign Firewire 80 and on powering it up I get a noise in my monitors. When I dismount it the system gets clean. Can anyone help?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:17 AM

I was having the same problem with a pre-fab Western Digital drive so I got an OWC enclosure, dropped in a Segate drive and the problem dissapeared. It seems like some pre-assembled enclosures just don't want to play nicely so I recommend getting an OWC and building your own. Also, it's cheaper.

BTW, I have no affiliation with OWC in any way, I've just had good luck with them and wanted to pass on the info.