Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM

Default Mixing converter brands

I am using Aurora 16 with my PTHD3 and my system has worked flawlessly for several months. I finally got extra digilink cables so this weekend I want to also hook up my Apogee 16ADX and Apogee 16DAX.

I am wondering if there are issues to b aware of. I am aware that I need to manually set the delay compensation for the Apogees. Any tricks or set up problems when trying to use both Aurora and Apogee? I also have a Big Ben laying around that I can use if it is helpful.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Mixing converter brands

Be aware that there are probably slightly different A/D convertor latency times between the two units. In practical use, that means you shouldn't record phase-related tracks partially on one unit and partially on the other. For instance, when recording a drum kit, don't run the toms through the Apogee and the overheads through the Aurora.

I would also recommend that you use the Big Ben. Using the Big Ben is a good idea any time you are sync'ing several digital convertors, especially the Non-Digidesign interfaces without Loop Sync in an HD rig. Use the setup recommendations on Apogee's web site as a guide for hookup.