Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Default 003 Exchange Offer... odd

So according to the the 003 exchange offer on this page of Digi's site, you save up to $1195 on a 003 package by trading in a competitor's software and audio interface.

Reading the fine print, "Eligible third-party digital audio workstations (software and hardware interface combinations) include Steinberg Cubase, Steinberg Nuendo, or Cakewalk SONAR software, and any USB, FireWire, or PCI/PCIe hardware audio interface. You must provide your software authorization USB key and/or software installation disc along with your hardware interface to Digidesign when you make your exchange."

[Deleted by Digidesign]

So instead of encouraging people to switch from Cubase/Nuendo/Sonar, Digidesign is in effect targeting people interested in their product, encouraging them to buy competitor's products, and then vastly overpaying to buy it from them! "Want a Digi003? Go spend $150 on Sonar 4 and a Line6 TonePort, and we'll give you $1195 off your purchase!"

Who the hell thought that one up?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: 003 Exchange Offer... odd

Quote:
Who the hell thought that one up?
I don't know, but I'd like to personaly thank them
Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 AM

shhhhhhh.....
Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Avid

Per the DUC rules - you can and will be banned for ANY discussion of illegal software practices.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 AM

What exactly counts as a DAW regarding the trading deal?

I mean could I trade in "Cubase SE" too for example. And a "M-audio Jamlab" counts for an audio interface?

Pleease answer because I want to use the offer and nobody answers me.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

If the quoth in the first post is right, then I'd say yes.

I'm not sure Digidesign would say the same though.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Avid

Yes, it's true that most audio interfaces and most legitimate DAW software packages are eligible for our 3rd Party DAW to 003 exchange program. However, the software must be traded in with all original CDs and any dongles it requires, and the hardware's serial number must be provided before the order will be processed. Pirated software, of course, will not be accepted, and we have methods in place to verify ownership.

"Competitive upgrades" have been offered by audio software companies for years as a way to make switching platforms easier for customers. This program adds value to our products, makes transitioning more attractive, and fosters good customer relations. Everyone likes a good deal.

In offering these exchanges, we are not trying to encourage folks to buy up cheap systems to trade in. We're simply offering the best deal we can to prospective customers that currently use other systems.

---
Digidesign Product Information
Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks. But you say that MOST DAW´s and Interfaces can be traded in.

What is most, do you have a list or something similiar?

Greetings Friends
Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 PM

What I find a hell of a lot more annoying is that we only get a further £60 saving for being a loyal Digidesign customer and having a 002R over a cheap 3rd party interface & bargain basement software.

If we upgraded to a 002R from a 001, and gave Digi additional £.£££.££ this isn’t even recognised at all...

Never mind all of us that bought the music production toolkits who have no choice but to buy another with this bundle, which we don’t need, which brings out actual saving down to next to nothing... (please no one mention eBay, why should we have to sell these unwanted licences, it should be optional...) Or we should get a further equivalent value of the MPT discount if we already have the toolkit...

If you are all wondering why I am acting like the aliens forgot to take the probe out, it’s because I am really upset at Digi at the moment over the lack of real ADC in LE when every other daw out there has it...(or any kind of official timeline so we can properly plan* or just simply leave now...) Especially as it’s making it unworkable swapping sessions between the HD3 & the LE system... I have never been so close to leaving the Digi fold in my life... Which is probably why I find this so called ‘deal’ pretty insulting...

N

*i.e. do I spend the £5,000.00 on a HD core card just to get delay compensation on the second system now & find LE get’s full ADC with 7.4 next month & I have wasted the money, or will it never happen, then I am better of leaving & using ANY other DAW software. Or will this middle option between LE & HD surface in the next few months & solve all my problems

P.S. Apologies for going so far OT...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Per the DUC rules - you can and will be banned for ANY discussion of illegal software practices.
I don't mean to exacerbate the situation, but the offer does not specify that customers must terminate their license agreements with 3rd parties. Even if that was required, there would be no way to force the 3rd party to prevent paid customers from using their software. They would have nothing to gain by making the offer work against them, so why would they?

Customers could still get a replacement authorization key with their registration information, and using a copied installation CD is not illegal as long as the user is licensed by the copyright owner. I burned the PT M-Powered 7.1 install I downloaded legitimately from M-Audio onto a CD, does that make it illegal? Of course not.

There was nothing illegal about what I posted, part of why I think the offer is so poorly conceived. I do not encourage the abuse of the offer, nor do I wish the developer of the software I depend on for income to suffer undue losses. But that's all the offer has to offer - abuse and losses.

If anything I'm doing Digi a favor. Don't shoot the messenger!