Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Latency issues when bypassing Digi002?

Dear all,

I have a little problem/question mark that I would love to get an answer to.

I am planning to get an external preamp and converter to my home set-up, and thus bypass everything on the Digi002. I have an Mbox now, but will soon update to a Digi002. As far as I've understood this can be done by using the SPDIF I/O on the Digi002.

But my question is how do you control playback/input levels on teh Digi002? And will plugging into the SPDIF's cause you latency problems?

All help would be appreciated?

Take care,

Thomaso
Old 11-14-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Latency issues when bypassing Digi002?

Anyone...please!

Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 AM

Hi Thomas,

I use both the 002r inputs & the ‘ADAT Optical’ (8 Inputs) (The S/PDIF only gives you 2 inputs…)

I have noticed no latency issues with ether…

Your gain will be controlled by your ‘external preamp and converter’ for the 8 channels via ADAT Optical.

For the 002 if you decide to use them, 1-4 have a gain control on the front, and can accommodate Mic or Line/instrument level signals, 5-8 are at line level and are switchable between +4 dBu & -10dBV

Cheers

Nick
Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Latency Issue on Digi 002 RACK, PT 7

Dear all,
My name is Jimmy and I am very new at DUC

I have a little problem that I would love to get an answer to

I just bought 002 Rack Ignition Pack with a quiet powerful PC, it is AMD Athlon 4200+ Dual Core, Asus A8N-E, 4 Gb DDR Ram

My first problem was the Error 7129 Problem when I first installed PT 6.9 that came in with the pack, finding no solutions on the answerbase for this, I decided to re-format the whole thing and re-install everything again, and same problem happened...Then I decided to re-format and re-install again with PT 7 since I can download it for nothing if anyone register the item after 1st September 2005

PT 7 is much more stable, and it doesnt have any error so far, but what I found just today when I did the recording is, it' has a very noticeable latency, eventhough low latency monitoring is on
Everything seemed to be alright on the actual recording, but when I played it back, a noticeable latency occurs on the recorded track

I tried to use either s/pdif input, optical input as well as the analog input, but nothing helps

Is there anyone out there know what is the best solutions for this? Or at least, if this version of Pro tools isn't stable yet, does anyone know how to fix the error 7129 on PT 6.9 cuz when I tried the latest d/l PT 6.9cs2, it didnt help either

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, I really really appreciate it

regards
Jimmy
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Latency Issue on Digi 002 RACK, PT 7

Is the track/s you are recording to set to output to 1-2 or do you have it going into a bus?

What is your hardware buffer size?

Cheers

Nick
Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Latency Issue on Digi 002 RACK, PT 7

Jimmy - you need to read up on definitions. 'Latency' is used to refer to a delay heard when monitoring, usually while recording. This latency is controlled by your setting for 'H/W buffer', and is reduced to almost nothing by using Low Latency Monitoring, regardless of H/W buffer setting.

From your description, it sounds like you aren't getting latency in the monitors, but something is happening when you play back. Could you describe that better?

And you should have started a new topic for this.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:16 AM

Cheers Nick!

Good to hear that you haven't experienced any latency using external equipment with the Digi002=)

However, what I don't really get is how you control the balance between the input/playback level on the Digi002.

On the Mbox, for instance, you have the playback/input knob which does this for you. However, this function is deactivated when plugging into SPDIF, and thus you get serious latency.

But how do you normally control the playback/input balance on the Digi002, and how do you control this balance when bypassed?

Cheers,

Tom

Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi guys, thanks alot for the reply
This DUC is awsome...

Nick, what you said is right, I dont have any monitoring latency in the recording, but it is on playback

Everything sounded right on spot on the recording. But I did notice that the meter on the screen was late eventhough the sound is not. And I guess when pro tools capture the signal, it was late as well, therefore on the playback, everything late, and I just measured it, it's about 52 ms, which is half a second...bit ridiculous

Any suggestions?
Does anyone know any solutions for PT 6.9 if I have error 7129 problem all the time even I keep switching the buffer size up and down?

Thank you
regards
Jimmy
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi guys, thanks alot for the reply
This DUC is awsome...

Nick, what you said is right, I dont have any monitoring latency in the recording, but it is on playback

Everything sounded right on spot on the recording. But I did notice that the meter on the screen was late eventhough the sound is not. And I guess when pro tools capture the signal, it was late as well, therefore on the playback, everything late, and I just measured it, it's about 52 ms, which is half a second...bit ridiculous

Any suggestions?
Does anyone know any solutions for PT 6.9 if I have error 7129 problem all the time even I keep switching the buffer size up and down?

Thank you
regards
Jimmy
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 PM

52ms is a little more than 1/20 of a second.

Exactly how did you measure this? ProTools is supposed to adjust the tracks to correct for latency caused by the H/W buffer, so things should line up closely. BUT, on some versions, they didn't get this quite right. (Note: this compensation is different from the Plugin Delay Compensation which many users desire so strongly.)