Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Volume

I'm still pretty new to this stuff (Digi 002 rack) but I was a long-time Sound Designer II user. In SD, to raise or lower the volume of a region or area was pretty simple; you'd just tell it how much you'd raise or lower the region and it did it. What I want to do is the simplest little thing—raise the volume of one note. I know how to select it, make a region out of it, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to change the volume of that little part. Please don't tell me to rtfm, I've been though it. If it's telling me how to do this, I'm certainly not understanding what it's saying. Help, please.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Volume

midi or audio -

select note to be edited.
at top of screen where tools are, click on the tool with long horizontal line under your other tools.
(it looks like a bracket. l________________l but this one is upside down.)

this is a combo tool. change the track view to volume (click where it says waveform on left side of screen),
depending on where you put the cursor - you will get a different tool -

go to note that you want to change - move cursor to top of that track window - the cursor should change
to look like the bracket - then you click and hold and move to change the line that represents your volume.
read out should appear left side of cursor to tell you where the db is set to currently.

move to front of audio or midi region and tool should change to trim tool - move to bottom and it changes
to a hand/grabber tool - and in the corners of the region at the bottom you get crossfade tool.

hope this helps - enjoy
Old 11-12-2003, 07:10 AM

You can do it by highlighting it and using the gain plug in, or automating the part. I think it might be best if you use the automation because playing with the gain plug in might raise your noise floor a little and take a little off of the headroom. Click on the automation tab and set it to auto write, and where it says waveforms on the edit window, change it to volume, and then draw in your automation with the tools.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Thanks, Freakuincy, that's exactly what I needed to know. Perfect for my needs. Thank you, too, Jared.