Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2022, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Speaker out question

The Left and Right main outputs to one TRS Stereo connector for my 3.1 (2 satelite speakers and one subwoofer)
I know that two separate studio monitors each with a balanced 1/4” TRS input would be ideal but I need to wait and pay this Studio off first. I guess for now I can just use headphones plugged into the Studio for playback
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-25-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
What exactly are you trying to connect the MBox to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess when using Reaper or Protools the output would come out of the computer to it’s external speakers and you really wouldn’t need to use the MBOX Studio’s outputs. I am new at this and do not mean to confuse. I can eventually figure it out as I use if for a while. Just thought some of you might have ran into this already but I guess most just buy separate Studeo Monitor speakers that have balanced inputs
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-25-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 View Post
Nope. That is a splitter cable designed to duplicate a stereo signal.

Go back to basics here. Each interface output is balanced, each output is one mono balanced signal, it is not stereo. There are typically no stereo TRS used for line outputs on audio interfaces, only stereo TRS used for headphones.

What exact make and model amp/speakers/monitors are you connecting to? sounds like a PC speaker system with built in bass management to a subwoofer. And many of those use 3.5mm TRS not 1/4" TRS.

Normally folks would use powered monitors that accept balanced inputs in on XLR or TRS connectors, so you use two cables either TRS to TRS to XLR. You connect whatever outputs you are using, say 1 and 2 to the left and right monitors respectively.

If you need to go from balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs (e.g. typically a consumer equipment with RCA inputs) in an anal-retentive world you might use a balun adapter to help avoid ground loops, but you can typically get away with using two separate cables that just each wire the balanced outputs hot side and ground to the single ended input, and leave the cold side disconnected, but check the documentation for the interface, I would hope Avid describes what to do.. You may also have the higher line level output signal level for professional +4dBu (used on typical balanced cables) vs consumer -10 dBV line levels to worry about. I have no idea if the MBox has switchable output levels, or you mayjust need to pull the output levels down a bit, even with any potential signal level reduction of only usibg half the balanced signal.

In your case if the speakers only have a single TRS stereo input for everything then most folks would start with trying to just run the hot sides to each channel and combining grounds and hopefully not have any ground loop problems. I'd just make up a custom cable if this was mine,... but why are we taking hypotheticals here, why are you not naming exactly what you have?

You might also want to consider buying better monitors.... especially if you are using cheap computer speakers, and/or if you run into ground loop problems. Monitors and room treatment are super important and should typically be a decent fraction of the setup cost.

If none of this is making sense you might want to pick up an introductory book on audio engineering. "The Recording Engineer's Handbook 4th Edition" by Bobby Owsinski is a good one.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 View Post
I guess when using Reaper or Protools the output would come out of the computer to it’s external speakers and you really wouldn’t need to use the MBOX Studio’s outputs. I am new at this and do not mean to confuse. I can eventually figure it out as I use if for a while. Just thought some of you might have ran into this already but I guess most just buy separate Studeo Monitor speakers that have balanced inputs
No. Hell no. Not with Pro Tools.

You are on Windows, Pro Tools on Windows really needs an ASIO interface, which is what the MBox provides. You normally want to keep this totally sepperated from any audio output that Windows or other apps are using.... so you let those use your PC speakers and Pro Tools exclusively uses the Mbox outputs, typically you would buy a set of semi-pro powered monitors to connect to the MBox... so yes your thoughts about that are right.

Describe what you are doing/type of music, room size etc. and budget and folks here can recommend monitors for you. Sales reps at good dealers should also be able to help you out, get you sorted out with cables and everything else you need, I especially like Vintage King in the USA (and they sell JBL powered monitors which are pretty nice bang for the buck).

If you are just getting started, especially just getting started recording then you can get started with a good pair of headphones connected to the Mbox (not computer).

Reaper is a different beast, arguably the most flexible of all DAWs with IO. But personally I would still set it to use a dedicated ASIO interface and it's dedicated ouput.

Now folks might tell you stuff is possible other ways, but you are potentially getting yourself set up for all sorts of problems. Windows just has a mess of an audio ecosystem and if you set stuff up like I described you can help avoid present and future problems.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:35 PM

Yes, I considered making my own cable to do just as you mentioned but I think I will just look at some monitor speakers that have balanced input on each speaker.

I just checked and the sleeves are both electrically connected on the main balanced outputs so no need to tie Left shield to right shield. I could just run the tip from the left to the single Female TRS Jack and the Right output tip to the Ring of the single Female Jack and just connect the Left output sleeve to the sleeve of the single Female Jack. Yes, I am aware the speaker system I have uses a 1/8" jack. I have a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter.

As I said, I may just buy monitor speakers But if I decided I need a subwoofer as one or two reviewers on Sweetwater stated I will look into how to connect it into the monitor system.
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-25-2022, 07:54 PM

What music are you making that really needs a suboofer? I expect you are going to do much better to start with buying a pair of 8" or 5" powered monitors. Start simply, and if you have more money where you could buy a subwoofer early on, I would encourage you to spend that on better monitors and/or better room treatment. Many of the cheaper subwoofers with boomy cabinets, resonances and sloppy sound are just awful. If you want to be blown away find a dealer who can demo say a pair of high-end Genelec 8" monitors for you... that is something to aspire to. (and yes folks like Genelec make subwoofers as well, but start by getting the best sound you can out of the main monitors).

Depending on what you are doing you can add a subwoofer later on.

Room treatment and monitor placements are really important, lots of good books and info online about that. It can be worth calibrating your setup/room to a standard SPL (sound pressure level). Lots of procedures online to do that with pink noise... that can be an eye (or ear?) opener for about how high that SPL is/how much power it takes in monitors (but that setup/and having lots of excess capacity there is usually a good thing).
Old 12-25-2022, 08:59 PM

I understand! I will not leave it to windows to do anything other than allow the DAW and the MBOX Studio to work together.
My budget is no more than $500. The room is 10 x 12. I mainly play bass but have played guitar since 1964 but I am only mediocre on guitar. I want to record mainly for myself right now. Maybe when I get better I will branch out.
I would like to keep the Monitor cost at $300 but no more than ~$500 for two speakers
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-25-2022, 09:16 PM

OK not a huge room so that helps with power.

Here is a well recorded semi-pro set of monitors that many folks seem to like. https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professio...077NHM2K6?th=1

Note thats $199 per monitor, so $398 plus tax total.

They might hiss a bit if you crank volume on them, but many will at this price point.

The LF -3dB cut off on these is 45Hz which should capture well the range of a bass guitar, and they just sound pretty good which helps you playing along with and mixing with other instruments and vocals. But as always be careful with room placement. The internal bass amp on these is ~50W and typical for this price point, Genelec and similar will have more powerful amps (~150W) and more rigid housing to handle that power, but they cost a lot more. These are a great place to start... and the folks I know who got them (or the earlier generation) as their first monitors thought they were great.

Edit: don't forget you'll need two of 1/4" TRS male to 1/4" TRS male, or 1/4" TRS male to XLR male, cables as well (these monitors have both TRS or XLR inputs).

If you are used to playing live or practicing with a bass with a powerful bass amp you might be a little disappointed with any reasonably priced DAW monitors. You might do stuff like play to backing tracks in headphones while also splitting your bass off to your current amp/practice amp (and not monitoring the the recorded Bass via Pro Tools) or use say a stage monitor speakers to just monitor the bass through (esp. while playing with amp sim plugins in your DAW) while other signals go out to your main output monitors.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-25-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2022, 10:43 PM

Thank you! I was actually looking at those. I think I will order two 1/4” TRS male to XLR male cables as the XLR will lock in place and will not short the output of the MBOX Studio Console if I forget to turn it’s power off and connect or disconnect the cable to the speaker (don’t plan on it). That is why I like Speakon cables for my bass amp and cabs.
Pro Tools Studio 2022.12
Old 12-26-2022, 01:00 AM

BTW my favorite premade balanced cables: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_black.html

Quality connectors and nice and flexible but robust cable. I also like the wide variety of colors (via custom ordering) for helping keep stuff more organized.