Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2022, 01:23 PM

Default Re: New desktop Avid Interface

Apple Airpods connected to an interface via bluetooth (who by the way knew bluetooth was invented by Ericsson, Sweden and later perfected to lo-power mode by Nokia, Finland) would be beyond ludicrous for normal "perhaps I can master this without listening" environment.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
I know its wishful thinking but seriously, putting monitor controls and a talkback mic on a rack mount unit is just ludicrous

Unless the rackmount unit IS your monitor controller. My Dangerous D-Box is rackmount and I love that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I know its wishful thinking but seriously, putting monitor controls and a talkback mic on a rack mount unit is just ludicrous
In some racks the monitor controls would be close and handy, though I get your point that for many others it would be impractical to reach for the box. I could never use a rack mounted controller in my desk.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Um, the X-Desk was the center of my B Studio universe for 6 years. Rack mount. Talkback. Monitor Controls. More. Not Ludicrous.
Mac M2 13" Air in the field
Old 10-19-2022, 08:45 AM

It's n the website:
https://www.avid.com/products/mbox-studio

MBOX Studio Key Features

Have everything you need to create, record, compose, edit, and mix studio-quality music and audio with a comprehensive suite of software and plugins, including Pro Tools Studio, MBOX Ignition Pack, Sibelius Artist, Celemony Melodyne 5 essential, and SoundFlow Cloud Avid Edition
Get low-latency tracking with built-in EQ, delay, and reverb (Avid FX), plus DSP-based confidence monitoring
Capture and mix sound in pristine quality with premium A/D and D/A conversion
Get all the ins and outs you need to connect your gear in a single USB audio interface:
21 x 22 simultaneous I/O at 24-bit/96 kHz audio conversion (10 x 10 at 176.4/192 kHz)
4 high-quality mic preamps/line inputs with Variable Z (impedance)
2 Variable Z instrument inputs
4 additional line-level inputs
2 impedance-switching effects loops
2-way simultaneous stereo Bluetooth I/O
Optical I/O—8-channel ADAT or 2-channel S/PDIF
Coaxial S/PDIF I/O
MIDI I/O
2 stereo monitor outputs
1 impedance-matched Hi-Z reamplification output (with ground lift) to guitar amp
2 headphone outputs with independent cue mix control and built-in talkback mic
2 footswitch/expression pedal inputs
Gain incredible tonal flexibility with Variable Z impedance switching for mics and instruments
Simplify monitoring with studio monitor control, cue mix capabilities, and integrated talkback
View input and output levels and access a variety of functions right from the interface
Perform frequently used actions fast with a single press using four assignable, dual-function, user action buttons
Check mixes in your car, jam with your iPhone, and connect your AirPods with simultaneous stereo Bluetooth I/O
Change up your guitar tone post-performance by reamplifying a track to any guitar rig
Keep your guitar sounding pitch-perfect with the built-in tuner
Capture and mix dialog with other sources for podcasting and live streams with Loopback
Use MBOX Studio with Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, and other popular DAWs
Old 10-19-2022, 11:58 AM

One thing I noticed is there appears to be no pad available on the mic pre/line inputs. The pad on the Mbox units before (which the specs on this one aren't much improved over the mbox 3 specs) has saved situations more than a few times.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 PM

Impressive list of features for anyone in the market for such a desktop unit. Not perfect, but what is? $899 is a competitive price if the thing sounds good.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
One thing I noticed is there appears to be no pad available on the mic pre/line inputs. The pad on the Mbox units before (which the specs on this one aren't much improved over the mbox 3 specs) has saved situations more than a few times.
Can we please stop these pad-free designs. Yes RME I'm looking at you, (but will accept a free 12Mic if you want to send my way).
Old 10-19-2022, 06:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing, especially at this price point Seems to handle a lot of problems, my biggest question is, what level of conversion are you getting? On the level of an Apollo? Better? Worse?

I wish they hadn't used the term MBox at all though, that's not an especially great memory of mine LOL

Last edited by tomhartman; 10-19-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Impressive list of features for anyone in the market for such a desktop unit. Not perfect, but what is? $899 is a competitive price if the thing sounds good.
Looks like they took some ideas from RME in the software, which is fine...