How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2021, 07:08 AM

Default Video Codec

Hi guys,
I was looking for that THX trailer where the robot flies through the theater and fixes the speaker so the THX SFX can play to the end. (I wanted to rebuild it in my studio for practise purposes) and I came across this one:

https://www.heimkino-atmos.de/.cm4al...?_=15ddda8d680

Here the site: the trailer is called Amaze

https://www.heimkino-atmos.de/Sonsti...und-Testtoene/

from Dolby. I tried to import it into my PT so I can see how it is levelled and listen to how it sounds on my setup but I got the message that either I don't have the Codec or the file is not supported. I then imported it into my Logic 10.6.1 (which by the way worked without a fuss) exported it from Logic and then I was able to import it to PT. Can someone please look at the file and tell my why my PT couldn't import it, or what codec I am missing....

that would be great, Thx in advance...

PS: if someone knows where I can find a download link to that THX robot trailer, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Video Codec

BTW

Dolby Digital Plus, which is what you posted on the Dolby track, is a digital audio compression scheme, Dolby Atmos is the name of a surround sound technology.
Because of limited bandwidth and lack of processing power, Atmos in home theaters is not rendered the same way as in cinemas. A spatially-coded substream is added to Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. This substream represents an efficient representation of the full, original object-based mix. This is not a matrix-encoded channel, but a spatially-encoded digital signal with panning metadata. Atmos in home theaters can support 24.1.10 channels, and uses the spatially-encoded object audio substream to mix the audio presentation to match the installed speaker configuration. Dolby Digital Plus offers higher quality than regular Dolby Digital, it was used for HD DVD films and currently by streaming services. Dolby atmos is object based surround, Dolby Digital plus is an enhanced form of AC3 which is a lossy 5.1 track encoding. DD+ adds additional channels, up to 20 I believe, but he's the kicker a DD+ soundtrack can be Atmos as well. Atmos metadata can be attached to the 5.1 channel signal to be mixed over the top and give ATMOS height channel sounds.
ATMOS in the home is delivered in 2 forms.
As Metadata on a Dolby TrueHD track or As Metadata on a Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack.
Hope that helps. Not sure about the THX since I am not interested in that for post work I do here.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS