Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Default Transferring Pro Tools to a new computer. PLEASE HELP!

About 3 months ago , I upgraded from a Macbook Pro to a Mac Pro. When I got the new computer, I did the Mac transfer function to transfer everything from my Macbook to the new Mac Pro. I havent had any issues . Ive done a few simple tracking sessions , but last night I went to put a plug in on one of the tracks and it says I need to authorize it? When I hit authorize , all of the numbers are already filled out , but it says my Digital ID doesnt match? What do I need to do to clear this situation up and re authorize all of my plugins? I REALLY appreciate the help
Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Transferring Pro Tools to a new computer. PLEASE HELP!

Do you have your ilok and ilok driver installed
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68topls View Post
Do you have your ilok and ilok driver installed
Yes I do. Some of the plug ins work , but others say I need to reauthorize them. The majority of the Pro Tools bundled plug ins work , but most of the plug ins I purchased later ( Ozone 4 , Amplitube LE) say I need to authorize them.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM

SOme of those may use a code instead of the iLok. I would always recommend a clean install instead of a transfer for software.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I have a very similar problem. I have a factory bundle that came with my Mbox 2 Pro factory bundle (LE) that came with a Moogerfooger plug in. Later I upgraded to PT8 with a Micro interface. I was successfully authorized on my 2005 Powerbook G4, which is now giving me problems. In order to keep working, I have installed the PC version of PT8 on my Dell Studio XPS, and it is working suprisingly well.

The problem I'm having is getting the Moogerfooger plug ins to authorized on this new machine, despite doing this fresh install and having my ilok installed when opening PT. Any suggestions on getting this authorization to work on my functioning machine?

Thank you.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 AM

A lot of software uses the MAC address of your network adaptor to tie the verification to your computer (a bit like a dongle that you can't move - unless you buy an external USB-ethernet adaptor or something). IK Multimedia plugins do this, for instance.
When you copied the files from your old computer, the activation codes were copied along with them. However they are not valid on the new computer because, as you say, the digital ID of the computer (which is an encrypted string based on the MAC address of the primary network adaptor) has changed.
You will need to go through the activation process for these plugins again, this time using the new digital ID for the new computer. You may be able to deactivate the plugins on your old computer, which is useful, since you are usually only allowed two or three different activations for any given piece of software.
This also comes up if you have a hardware fault and they replace your motherboard, as the network adaptor is built-in to the motherboard. When that happened to me a while back, most of the companies I asked were willing to delete the authorisation code from their database for me, so that it wasn't lost forever.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortonRedhouse View Post
Yes I do. Some of the plug ins work , but others say I need to reauthorize them. The majority of the Pro Tools bundled plug ins work , but most of the plug ins I purchased later ( Ozone 4 , Amplitube LE) say I need to authorize them.

You need to go to your Ike Multimedia account to get another autorisation.
it take a few second , i had the same experience with my new computer a few
weeks ago.......
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM

Any plugins that don't use Ilok will need a new authorization to work. This is generally not a problem. For anything by Ik multimedia, they give you 5 authorizations in your account. You need to download each program from the account and I believe it will generate a new authorization number. If you eventually run out of the 5 authorization numbers (because of buying new computers, etc.) then just contact them and they will usually give you new ones. Other companies do it a little different, but the same idea. As mentioned, some companies allow you to deauthorize the number from one computer and reuse it on another.

For each plugin, you can usually go to the support section of their website and find the info you need on this.

To Vervus, what's probably happening with your moogerfooger is that on the new machine you have Protools 8 and you've installed your original factory plugins that came with your version 7 product. They're not exactly compatible. There's a free update for the factory plugins to work in version 8. They will also be backwards compatible with version 7.

Since you're an original Factory bundle owner (I'm pretty sure) what you really should do is pay $30 to upgrade to the new Factory bundle V8. It includes a couple of new plugins that were not in the original, such as the bomb factory fairchild and BF-2a compressors. And it will update the whole bundle. Some of what used to be in the factory bundle is now included in the basic version of PT8. This should straighten it all out. The link to the Digistore page is here:

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24143587902384
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I'll dig into your suggestions.