Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Transferring into Pro Tools

Hi

I need to go to another studio to track a band, and they are running Digital Performer. I have an 003R and will be coming back to my place to mix and overdub.

I don't really have the cash right now to blow on DigiTranslator, so is there any semi-easy way of transferring into Pro Tools?

I know one option would be just bouncing all the tracks out, but that would take a long time. Will Pro Tools read the .sd2 or whatever the heck DP records in?
Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Transferring into Pro Tools

Just consolidate the DP tracks into full song length files. Or, if there's not too many regions, rename the audio files to incorporate the bar number where it should be placed.

If there's tempo changes, you should export a midi file by way of a tempo map.

Import the midi (if appropriate) and audio into a new PT session and you should be good to go.

PT can handle the DP audio formats including SD2.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 AM

As far as PT handling sd2's

Once before, while working on a windows-based Pro Tools rig, I tried to drag the files from the DP audio folder into Pro Tools, and they were declared as unreadable by Pro Tools.

Is that just a windows thing?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Your best bet for full file compatability is for your friend to create full-length audio files of each track in AIFF or WAV format, so that each track is the full length. I'd also have him bounce a stereo mix to stereo AIFF or WAV just so you know you're in the ballpark.

You can have him bounce with any effects/eq inserts as well as without.

When you get back home, create a new session, import audio, and import each audio file to the new session. You shouldn't have problems this way.

The method you're talking about (dragging sd2 files into your Pro Tools folder) sounds problematic.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones