Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Opinions on Hip-Hop...What\'s good and what\'s trash, seriously....

One of the places I write for needs some Hip-Hop for 2 new female artists, and I'm interested in some of you guys' thoughts on the genre....
I know some of you musician's musicians can't stand Hip-Hop, while others truly dig it. I also think a lot of people just go along with it, because they afraid of not being hip (The conformists amongst us).

I like it, but not all of it. As a musician first, some of what I hear, at it's worst, sounds like just talking or yelling over a music bed, and that's it. Yet, at it's best (like say some of Tupac's stuff), some of it is extremely well crafted and well produced work.

I'm not trying to over-analyze it, believe me. But, it's a little like trying to explain poetry. And I'd just like to hear what some of you think about it, like what's good Hip-Hop, and what's trash....

Thanks, Roy
Old 01-25-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Opinions on Hip-Hop...What\'s good and what\'s trash, seriously....

I've always loved the Beasties.

To me they are one of the few artists that have stayed true to old school hip hop, yet they constantly evolve, and help change the face of the genre. In my opinion, Ill Communication & Check Head are essential records to own. Theay also released an instrumental funky trip hop EP a few years back called In Sounds From Way Out, I highly recommend that as well.

Missy Elliott is a great female hip hop artist to pull inspiration from as well.

BigRedButton www.jacksonBjackson.com

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 01-25-2002, 03:00 PM

When in come to vocals hip hop do have some people who are just yelling and some who are just mono-tone. On the flip side you have many artists that are very creative on the mic. When it come to tracks I have to say Dr. Dre provide excellent tracks, alone with Timberland. So If these two females have some nice vocals and the tracks are "banging" they should do fine. Also. make sure there music have a message to it many people can get on the mic;it just do they have something to say!!!
Old 01-25-2002, 03:12 PM

Thanks Willie...you got right to the heart of it..... thank you, too, BRB...more thoughts?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Roy Howell:
I'm not trying to over-analyze it, believe me. But, it's a little like trying to explain poetry. And I'd just like to hear what some of you think about it, like what's good Hip-Hop, and what's trash....

Thanks, Roy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got three words for you. Black, Eyed, Peas! You've probably heard 'Joints and Jams' before.
Grab a copy of their album, 'Bridging the gap'. It's the Sh*t. Truely inspiring, not just musically, but sonically and on a production level as well.

Some other way cool artists in that genre (Rap/Hip hop/RnB):

Erykah Badu
Lucy Pearl
Lauryn Hill
Busta Rhymes
Wyclef Jean
Pras

'we cant wait till the weekend come, we cant wait till the weekend come,.....'
Old 01-25-2002, 03:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by gavinchan:

I got three words for you. Black, Eyed, Peas! You've probably heard 'Joints and Jams' before.
Grab a copy of their album, 'Bridging the gap'. It's the Sh*t. Truely inspiring, not just musically, but sonically and on a production level as well.

Some other way cool artists in that genre (Rap/Hip hop/RnB):

Erykah Badu
Lucy Pearl
Lauryn Hill
Busta Rhymes
Wyclef Jean
Pras

'we cant wait till the weekend come, we cant wait till the weekend come,.....'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried getting into the B.E.P. something about them I don't like. But Dead Prez have some tight joints many people sleep on them and Talib Kweli (hope I spelled that right). Roy what type of artist you working with (rappings/location/style) over there? What are their goals as in what genre (gangsta/dirty south/east coast/etc.) within hip hop do they fit in?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:37 PM

Outkast. All the way.

Phenomenal. Experimental, and intelligent. Stankonia is an album to own.

De La Soul is also a good group to listen to.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:00 PM

Willie,
I'm from Memphis, 3 Six Mafia country, but these females artists are gonna be more clean than say, la chat/'bring it ho' type stuff. But, the music/production behind the message is probably what I'm checkin' the most right now...
I got a crash course recently from a bunch of teenagers(15ish) on how they see it.(which may be different than you or me)...
They played me 3 Six Mafia stuff like 'Weak ass bitch', some Lord Infamous, Big Pun, and Lil' Wayne stuff. But they're all also into Lauren Hill, Busta Rhymes, and of course Tupac, too.
All of it's hot, and I'm definitely gonna check the above suggestions, too.....

Thanks, Roy
Old 01-25-2002, 05:13 PM

um...quality hip hop? The stuff from my production company....let me know if you need some tracks. Whatever you need, any style, we'll get it done...for the righr price of course...lol

But uh....you might wanna check Out Nas' "Stillmatic," Wu-tang Clan's "The Iron Flag," or uh...Mobb Deep's "Infamy." Those are the cds, other than my own stuff, that have been in heavy rotation for the past month and a half or so
Old 01-25-2002, 05:36 PM

If you are only interested in beats/productions then I would like to suggest the following producers.

Timberland
- As a producer he is excellent, his production credits include... Missy Elliot, Aaliyah (R.I.P), NAS, Jay-Z and many others.

DJ Premier
-From the old school, he is one of the few who have survived. His production remains classic, still using his SP 1200 (the first official hip-hop drum machine) credits included Gang Star, KRS-1, Mos Def, Rakim just to name a few.

DJ Shadow
-His drum programming can be a bit overboard but no the less intoxicating. A master with drums. Check his first album 'Introducing' and his latest with a guest appearance by Tom Yorke-'Rabit in your headlight'

88 Keys
-Awesome! Talib Kwali, Blackstar, Mos Def and other underground Hip-Hop acts. A must

RZA
-The first Wu-Tang album amazing. His production invigorated the stale R&B hip-hop of that time. (Side note. I don't really care for his new stuff..)

Dr. DRE
-Right now besides timberland Dre is doing it. The most sought after producer. He creates songs not just rhythm beds. Anything from dre is a must.

There are many others, some are exceptional and others (swiss beats, Neptunes) I could care less about. They remain stagnate and complacent in their sound.

I hope this is helpful..

and for those who don't know.... http://www.allmusic.com is THE most comprehensive music site out there. Every style, genre and era in music is covered check it out.....

__________DarkShade__________________________
"Give me an ear and I will give you a voice." -Kahlil Gibran