Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Controlling monitor level from keyboard (Audient Nero)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuacksMeUp View Post
... but the CUT button - does that MUTE the monitors (cut the monitors)?
Yes. And the volume knob is awesome.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-06-2023, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Controlling monitor level from keyboard

The only problem I have with any of these Desktop Monitor controllers, is that you end up with a mess of cables on your desk. I used to have a Dangerous Monitor ST with my HDX system and the remote on that was just a single CAT5 cable. On top of that it has a stepped relay monitor knob! The Carbon is great as an all in one box but could def use a remote like the Apogee HRC.
I might pick up a Heritage Audio Baby RAM which has a stepped attenuator, a mute, dim and mono button.Its passive so it shouldn't color the sound but it will have more cables coming out of the back then I would like
Old 01-06-2023, 02:39 PM

The problem is that passive volume controls can colour the sound. A bit like turning down the volume on a guitar - you can lose all the treble. They're a big resistor - you're changing the impedance of the output path. Whether you can hear it or not is another matter.

Dominic
Old 01-06-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
The problem is that passive volume controls can colour the sound. A bit like turning down the volume on a guitar - you can lose all the treble. They're a big resistor - you're changing the impedance of the output path. Whether you can hear it or not is another matter.

Dominic
Audient NERO sounds great!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-06-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Audient NERO sounds great!
Audient NERO isn’t a passive volume control though, so not relevant to the comment about the Heritage RAM or TC Level Pilot.

Dominic
Old 01-08-2023, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Controlling monitor level from keyboard (Active vs Passive)

So Dominic, would an ACTIVE controller (like Nero) be better than passive regarding coloration? I assumed the opposite (which is why I got the TC Level Pilot).
Old 01-10-2023, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuacksMeUp View Post
So Dominic, would an ACTIVE controller (like Nero) be better than passive regarding coloration? I assumed the opposite (which is why I got the TC Level Pilot).
This is an area of some controversy and there's plenty written about it already in places like gearspace.
There's a reason a passive volume control is a lot cheaper than an active monitor controller, and it's not just the extra features on the latter.
In practise, a good quality passive volume control turned all the way up is normally indistinguishable from a straight wire, but as you increase the attentuation (i.e. turn down the volume) there can be a loss of definition, mainly reduction in high frequencies, due to the change in output impedance. It depends to a degree on what is on both ends of the wire - in other words how that change affects the interface and the monitors.

Dominic
Old 01-10-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
This is an area of some controversy and there's plenty written about it already in places like gearspace.
There's a reason a passive volume control is a lot cheaper than an active monitor controller, and it's not just the extra features on the latter.
In practise, a good quality passive volume control turned all the way up is normally indistinguishable from a straight wire, but as you increase the attentuation (i.e. turn down the volume) there can be a loss of definition, mainly reduction in high frequencies, due to the change in output impedance. It depends to a degree on what is on both ends of the wire - in other words how that change affects the interface and the monitors.

Dominic
Agreed! At the end of the day you get what you pay for. I have always used high quality monitor controllers (Grace,Dangerous) with my high end systems(HD,HDX). The Carbon was kind of a diversion from that for me. I use it in a production/tracking situation and the workflow is perfect for that. Before the Carbon, this was always a weak link for me using 3rd party native interfaces(RME,UAD,MOTU,Antilope,Apogee). At the moment I have the Carbon racked on my desk within arms reach but I would have preferred to have it in my rack off the side with my other mic pre's. From having talked to some of the Avid people at AES it looks more likely that they at some point will enable Eucon on the Carbon so you can control it from a Eucon control surface. Not ideal for me (I do have an old Avid Mix though) but better then having a ton of cables on my desk connected to a cheap desktop monitor controller.
Still hoping for that AVB-Desktop control though!!
Oh and a 16 channel line level CarbonExpansion while we are at it
Old 01-21-2023, 04:28 PM

So along that same line, what is considered best-practice in driving one's monitors?

I have the Carbon output knob just above mid-point... and output on the powered Yamaha HS80 at 3PM (max would be 5:30). TC Level Pilot in-between.

So, is it better to push harder from Carbon? Or from the amp in the monitors? Does it matter?