Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2000, 07:10 AM

Default Fiber channel networks anyone?

Hi I'm considering setting up a Rorke or Glyph fiberchannel network. Any suggestions or opinions?
Real life experiences?

Any comments are welcome

Pop
Old 09-10-2000, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Fiber channel networks anyone?

We have Rorke System in use It works great any specific questions ?
Old 09-10-2000, 11:03 PM

Except that at NRG you can't use an expansion chassis with your setup, limiting you to 4 x 888's (only 2 digi cards + the FC card)... and I ran into -6042 errors when we were using two systems to access the same sound files... Not to mention that the software requires a USB dongle (No 9600's allowed without using an extra PCI slot for a USB adapter).

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-03-2000, 03:34 PM

We are using a Fibre channel. Works very well w/ both G3'sand G4's. We have expansion chassis working as well. the only drawback is that we can only get about 40 track going at once....Rourke is looking at a new Fibre channel interface which supossedly will fix this...basically it's the same problem with SCSi accelerators- you actually have to slow the interface down so that it doesn't stumble on itself....
-Todd A.
Old 11-08-2000, 12:26 AM

The Village Recorder just went fiber. They've got 180GB available to all there rooms...I was just there and saw it work...it's pretty awsome.
Old 11-09-2000, 08:48 AM

Mac or NT? I have had poor experiences with the NT side of life and fiber. When it works, it is great. The problem is Protools NT does not seem to like writing over the fibre to the SAN, even though it thinks the SAN drives are local. Our dealer is working with us to try and resolve it, but it still won't reliably write PTNT session data from the app itself. Push pull on a desktop level is rock solid, and is very useful. It may be a problem with our install, but not to many folks are running PTNT with a fibre SAN. ANYONE THAT IS, PLEASE RESPOND, OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY.....I have had good luck with Rorke Data in the past on several projects. I would recomend them, highly. Please keep this forum abreast of your findings. It has been hard to get info from other users about fiber, and its inner workings with digidesign. Digi keeps ranting about this "unity" fiber system, but they have been talking about it since Avid Audiovision in the early 90's. It would be nice to really build a core group of fiber users to troubleshoot issues on both platforms. The fiber is supposed to make my facility work faster, more efficient and able to get more work done. So far, in the NT land, it has increased my coffee intake, raised my blood pressure and nearly caused me cardiac arrest on several occasions. I still believe we will solve the issues at hand, and it will be all that is promised, but for now it is a little short. Do your research, pay the extra for 24/7 tech support and give yourself some learning curve time to avoid "new gear, new session, hey it does'nt work right" headaches. Apparently, the Mac side works very well.
PS.....
Save the "shudda bought a Mac" comments. It will make my life much more peacefull. I keep a Mac SE with "superdive" in my living room as a voodoo shrine in effort to appease the DAW gods. It apparently does'nt work that well. Maybe I should upgrade to a Performa?....
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM