Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Sync issues PTLE no DV toolkit

I've just finished post audio production on a 16minute video and I have MAJOR problems with video editor.
He gave me a QT movie that he said he rendered at 24fps. I proceeded by importing the QT movie he gave me into PTLE (no DV toolkit). I tracked everything, mixed, and mastered and bounced out a 16bit, 48khz file for him to import back into his video software. When he imported, it was about 1 second out of sync at the start and about 4 seconds out of sync by the end of the 16 minute film. I'm assuming that is Framerate problems but have no idea how to solve. The funny thing I noticed in the edit window of PTLE on the QT movie track, I saw that the FPS was 24.2????
Why would a QT Movie he created 24fps, import to PTLE as 24.2? Help would be AWESOME for a beginning post audio production engineer! Also, the ultimate question is how are we going to get the 2 channel, 16bit,48khz audio file I created to sync up to render out correctly in his video package. Adobe Audition. He just wants to make a dvd for sale.
Thanks for any feedback! We will be anxiously awaiting a reply! Thanks guys and what would I do without the DUC!
Scott
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Sync issues PTLE no DV toolkit

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=232797

If you want me to take a look at it then let me know.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviewrecords View Post
I've just finished post audio production on a 16minute video and I have MAJOR problems with video editor.
He gave me a QT movie that he said he rendered at 24fps. I proceeded by importing the QT movie he gave me into PTLE (no DV toolkit). I tracked everything, mixed, and mastered and bounced out a 16bit, 48khz file for him to import back into his video software. When he imported, it was about 1 second out of sync at the start and about 4 seconds out of sync by the end of the 16 minute film. I'm assuming that is Framerate problems but have no idea how to solve.
He should have exported the movie at 23.97, not 24p. I just went through a similar issue. In my case, the work I had done was in small chunks, so that I was able to just move the sections to the right place, since not enough time had elapsed to make the drift obvious. If the audio is very sync sensitive, then you may need to redo it.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM

I have also had issues with OMF and movie files being exported to me at the wrong frame rate...OMF at 24 fps rather than 23.98...accompanied by a 23.98 Quicktime movie. But fortunately, the only fall-out has been that I have had to deal with audio clips not lining up with the correct min/sec ruler locations. For me, the solution has been to run a 24 fps PT session. In so doing, everything lines up with the min/sec ruler in the way I expected, and, more importantly, it stays in sync with picture, both in PTLE, as well as when my resulting mix is exported back into Final Cut by the video editor.

Because of the drift, it sounds like you may now have an audio sample rate mismatch between your mix and whatever the editor is trying to line it up with. I would enlist the help of someone more experienced perhaps?. Or track down the mismatch and start over. One quick fix may be to convert your mix to a new sample rate that compensates for some earlier sample rate mismatch. If you are not comfortable tinkering with that, get someone to help you.
Pro Tools 9.0
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. This is new territory for us.
We spent a few hours last night rendering a new QT movie at 23.976 fps.
Imported them into the PT session I had already created audio in. Yes there was a mismatch in the audio and I was afraid of doing any sample rate conversion for these reasons:
I have no idea how to convert the sample rate of audio to match the fps difference between 23.976 and 24fps. I've studied this a little and someone mentioned doing a pull up or pull down but wouldn't that actually change the pitch as well if you are changing the sample rate? Ie:from 48k to 4048.
The other reason is I don't have any idea whether sample rate change or compression/expansion would be the way to do it but regardless of which method I need to use, how much change would have to be made to sync up?
My work around is to edit/remix as close as possible with the frame rate error and see how good/bad it looks on DVD.
I was able to edit the dialog to the new 23.976 fps and bounce it out to the editor and it synced up in his software so another 4hours of work should finish it up. I hope. Thanks tremendously for the tips here. Don't know what I'd do without you guys!
S~
Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Hi Scott,
Ck the Sticky called "FCP 'Bug' to Watch Out For" at the top of the Post Forum, then ask your editor the requisite questions; maybe your problem lies there......?
Good luck!

best,

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook