Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Question about iLok

Since I just got myself a Micro for mixing. I was wondering something about iLok. I SHOULD know the answer, but I don't. And please don't scold me for it....

Since I own many diff plugin that are auth'd on my iLok, mm I able to install them on my 2nd Mac also, so that I can insert my iLok and have access to them?

I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of having an iLok is exactly? It's basically a portable Challenge/Response device that's a million times more likely to be lost or stolen? Ah... the Zero Downtime Program... I gotcha. HA! But really... I guess I don't understand the whole iLok thing. I just know I need one, so I have one.

j
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Question about iLok

you answered your own question...

Your iLok is your portable licenses to run software. The software can be installed on any system and by pluging in your iLok it will run on any system. The catch is that the iLok has to stay plugged in while using the software...

If you lost the iLok you would have to purchase another, but your licenses are stored in a safe place on the iLok server which you could download to a new iLok device.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:20 PM

actually, it doesn't need to be plugged in the whole time. Just when you start up protools.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
actually, it doesn't need to be plugged in the whole time. Just when you start up protools.
And just to be clear, that's every time you start up PT.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Avid

Quote:
If you lost the iLok you would have to purchase another, but your licenses are stored in a safe place on the iLok server which you could download to a new iLok device.
Actually, that is not the case. The iLok itself contains the authorizations and, if you lose it, you cannot just buy a new iLok and get your authorizations back. You would have to re-purchase the plug-ins that are authorized by the iLok.

You should insure your iLok for the replacement value of any plug-ins on it.

The iLok website just stores information about what is on the iLok, not the authorizations themselves.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Well according to iLok, authorizations for most plug-ins can be reloaded onto a new iLok if you have the following (which I do).

Zero Downtime

The only bad thing about that is that Waves and several other manufacturers do not subscribe to program. So insurance is definitely something you should have even with or without the above.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
And just to be clear, that's every time you start up PT.
correct
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Good thing I chimed in... I was misinformed and was misinforming others, glad to put a stop to that. That is the last time I listen to a sales guy again (passing the buck).

Great information... Is iLok insuance about the same cost as auto insurance?

I know, look it up on the web!!!

Thanks again for the great information.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM

So, aside from Zero Downtime, one should purchase insurance on their iLok? You mean like schedule it on your home or renters policy up to the value of the plug ins that don't subscribe to zero downtime? Otherwise, zero downtime is the way to go?

I'm not worried about losing my iLok. But my little one could always grab it and lose it for me!

I'm mostly concerned about that little card inside of mine. If that thing falls out, cancel Christmas right? I think that the little card inside of it is what stores all the data. The iLok housing is just a reader for that card right?

It's funny... I've been using iLok for some time now, and I guess I never really thought about it much until now. I just have always known that I needed one, so I got one! HA!

Thanks!
Jason
OWC External FW HDD
Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM

So, aside from Zero Downtime, one should purchase insurance on their iLok? You mean like schedule it on your home or renters policy up to the value of the plug ins that don't subscribe to zero downtime? Otherwise, zero downtime is the way to go?

I'm not worried about losing my iLok. But my little one could always grab it and lose it for me!

I'm mostly concerned about that little card inside of mine. If that thing falls out, cancel Christmas right? I think that the little card inside of it is what stores all the data. The iLok housing is just a reader for that card right?

It's funny... I've been using iLok for some time now, and I guess I never really thought about it much until now. I just have always known that I needed one, so I got one! HA!

Thanks!
Jason
OWC External FW HDD