Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-01-2021, 04:06 AM

Default Clocking MTRX and BM card to non-house sync frame rates

Clocking Question:

I need to double check this with someone else in case I am making a mistake here:

The facility is locked to 1080i50 Video Ref.

Could I feed my Rosendahl Nanosyncs HD this video ref and then send Wordclock to the Pro Tools rigs for when working with non-house sync frame rates?

I am thinking sending separate Wordclock, one going to the Sync HD and another going to the MTRX (there is no Loop Sync on the MTRX as opposed to the Avid I/O boxes).

The Blackmagic video card in the system, would be still locking to Video Ref but it seems that Pro Tools is taking over the frame rate on the Black Magic Control Panel app as per what's the video in its timeline.

Is it the PLL in the Rosendahl that comes into play and synchronises the frame with the samples?

I feel I am missing out something here but my brain is on this actual mixing job at the moment?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Clocking MTRX and BM card to non-house sync frame rates

The Rosendahl does sync frame and samples but Pro Tools will not provide frame-edge sync without video ref into a SyncHD or Sync X.

That said I would have no reservations working the way you are thinking. You'd be locked to video ref whilst running at house rate. The rest of the time you'd still have a super stable clock. And PT has become surprisingly "good enough" playing without video sync. I wouldn't use it for ADR but otherwise I'd be comfortable with it.