Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Re: M1 Mac Mini running Atmos Renderer 3.7.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
Well, I'm running an external machine to run the renderer because I kinda hate the Dolby Bridge. Using it, means that you're unable to use any hardware inserts, can't do a last minute overdub, you have to make a substantial change in terms of IO when you go between tracking mode and mix mode, you have very limited ability to route audio around your system (of course ProTools will only support ONE playback engine device, meaning that you cannot choose one source for inputs and another for outputs unless you use a super-flaky aggregate setup), and if you're monitoring through the Dolby Bridge, it's very painful to do regular editing & mixing tasks with the round-trip path of the renderer to your monitoring system.. It's fine for learning, etc., but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a single pro facility running the bridge in their Atmos mix room (unless it's a small suite...)

Anyhow, happy to report that M1 is rockin' for this task!
That sounds really exciting! May I ask how much ram and storage you decided that you needed to run DAPS on your M1 Mini?
Old 10-01-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo499 View Post
That sounds really exciting! May I ask how much ram and storage you decided that you needed to run DAPS on your M1 Mini?
I'm running the entry-level M1 Mac Mini, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD... The thing is literally yawning... I might have to find more things for this computer to do around here...
Old 10-01-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Do some testing. It is possible to run a full 128 channels of audio into Dolby Atmos Production Suite, unless they changed something in 3.7. Pro Tools has also increased the coreaudio I/O coint to 64 channels in 2021.6 or later.
Just for clarification, the ONLY way you can get 128 channels into DAPS is using the DAB. If you want to work in an eco-system that is more pro audio friendly, unfortunately, you have to upgrade to the DAMS license - and apparently, it is NOT upgradable... (you have to buy DAMS from scratch) I'm using Ravenna network, with Merging Anubis as monitor controller, HORUS is my DA, and all of the routing is via ANeMan. Right now, I'm happy with 32 channels feeding the renderer, but eventually, I'll bump up my license...
Old 10-01-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification, the ONLY way you can get 128 channels into DAPS is using the DAB. If you want to work in an eco-system that is more pro audio friendly, unfortunately, you have to upgrade to the DAMS license - and apparently, it is NOT upgradable... (you have to buy DAMS from scratch) I'm using Ravenna network, with Merging Anubis as monitor controller, HORUS is my DA, and all of the routing is via ANeMan. Right now, I'm happy with 32 channels feeding the renderer, but eventually, I'll bump up my license...

Can you clarify if you have tried selecting a 128 channel coreaudio device in DAPS? Unfortunately I only have a DAMS license on hand. A colleague has my DAPS license so I can't test it.

In versions previous to 3.7, there has been ZERO difference in the way DAMS and DAPS handles coreaudio I/O. They are exactly the same piece of software, and you could access the full 128 channels of Coreaudio I/O in both, regardless of whether it is the virtual DAB coreaudio sound card, an RME Madi FX, Dante PCIe-R card, or even an aggregate device with 128 channels of I/O. The only real difference between a DAMS and DAPS license has been that a DAMS license unlocks more of the speaker and control room functionality (Room EQ, speaker arrays, etc, etc) in the software. Other than that, DAMS and DAPS is exactly the same piece of software. They use exactly the same installer.

The limiting factor to hardware I/O has never been DAMS or DAPS. It has been Pro Tools. Versions prior to 2021.6 have a 32 channel limit on coreaudio I/O. You need HDX1 or HDN to get 64 physical I/O out of it. For 128 channels, you need HDX2. From version 2021.6 onwards, Avid increased the Coreaudio I/O limit to 64 channels, but you still need HDX2 minimum for 128 channels.

Like I said, I suspect a lot of people are delivering content using DAPS and DAB. Particularly if it is film work being done in the box. That is because of the hardware requirements for 128 channels in Pro Tools. Doing it through hardware becomes a $10,000+ investment just to access stuff like video sync peripherals...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Can you clarify if you have tried selecting a 128 channel coreaudio device in DAPS? Unfortunately I only have a DAMS license on hand. A colleague has my DAPS license so I can't test it.
In versions previous to 3.7, there has been ZERO difference in the way DAMS and DAPS handles coreaudio I/O. They are exactly the same piece of software, and you could access the full 128 channels of Coreaudio I/O in both, regardless of whether it is the virtual DAB coreaudio sound card, an RME Madi FX, Dante PCIe-R card, or even an aggregate device with 128 channels of I/O. The only real difference between a DAMS and DAPS license has been that a DAMS license unlocks more of the speaker and control room functionality (Room EQ, speaker arrays, etc, etc) in the software. Other than that, DAMS and DAPS is exactly the same piece of software. They use exactly the same installer.

The limiting factor to hardware I/O has never been DAMS or DAPS. It has been Pro Tools. Versions prior to 2021.6 have a 32 channel limit on coreaudio I/O. You need HDX1 or HDN to get 64 physical I/O out of it. For 128 channels, you need HDX2. From version 2021.6 onwards, Avid increased the Coreaudio I/O limit to 64 channels, but you still need HDX2 minimum for 128 channels.

Like I said, I suspect a lot of people are delivering content using DAPS and DAB. Particularly if it is film work being done in the box. That is because of the hardware requirements for 128 channels in Pro Tools. Doing it through hardware becomes a $10,000+ investment just to access stuff like video sync peripherals...
Well, if you already have Merging hardware (Hapi or Horus as DA) you just need Anubis ($2.5K monitor controller) there's zero cost other than a good QOS switch... The Ravenna/AES67 protocol is open, and at 48kHz you've got more than enough channels to do a full-on RMU-on-separate-machine setup.

I'll try yet again, but I'm quite sure than DAPS is ignoring incoming audio above 32 channels. I can see that the object metadata paths are connecting, but audio is not coming through above 32...
Old 10-01-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well, if you already have Merging hardware (Hapi or Horus as DA) you just need Anubis ($2.5K monitor controller) there's zero cost other than a good QOS switch... The Ravenna/AES67 protocol is open, and at 48kHz you've got more than enough channels to do a full-on RMU-on-separate-machine setup.

I'll try yet again, but I'm quite sure than DAPS is ignoring incoming audio above 32 channels. I can see that the object metadata paths are connecting, but audio is not coming through above 32...

What version of Pro Tools are you using?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 10-01-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:06 PM

Really, it would be great if Avid could either make it possible to author Atmos content without DAMS (this seems to be the case with Nuendo, no?), or allowed Dolby Audio Bridge to be used in conjunction with the HD (native) playback engine.

Having to use a separate CoreAudio interface in order to be able to use hardware inserts and DSP in Pro Tools seems like a kludge.

I suppose there are the send/return plugins but from memory these had some issues with delay compensation?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you're not running the current version of PT that allows 64 I/O through CoreAudio? The older versions will only use the first 32 channels even if your interface shows more available.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Really, it would be great if Avid could either make it possible to author Atmos content without DAMS (this seems to be the case with Nuendo, no?), or allowed Dolby Audio Bridge to be used in conjunction with the HD (native) playback engine.

Having to use a separate CoreAudio interface in order to be able to use hardware inserts and DSP in Pro Tools seems like a kludge.

I suppose there are the send/return plugins but from memory these had some issues with delay compensation?
It would be nice! I think Nuendo and Resolve only allow ADM creation directly within the DAW. For anything else it still needs a renderer.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
It would be nice! I think Nuendo and Resolve only allow ADM creation directly within the DAW. For anything else it still needs a renderer.
You can export ADM from Pro Tools now though right? But you still need DAPS for monitoring. Does Nuendo handle monitoring as well?